Alcohol and Menopause

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently there has been lots of mixed press about the health affects of alcohol. Some reports indicate that drinking in moderation may actually have benefits for heart health, could raise good cholesterol and inhibit the formation of blood clots.  A cocktail or a glass of wine, however, can trigger and intensify your menopausal symptoms.  Alcohol temporarily increases the level of estrogen in your bloodstream , making hot flashes more likely.  A drink can also further with your ability to remain asleep at night.  There may be even more serious consequences of drinking alcohol if you're taking hormone replacement therapy.  Findings from the Nurse's Health Study indicate that for those on HRT, consuming even one and a half drinks a day makes your risk of breast cancer 30 percent higher than it is for women who don't drink alcohol at all.  Here are some tips....

1.  If you don't drink, this is not the time to start.

2.  If you do drink, moderation is the key.  Limit to one drink a day.

3.  Consider substituting a healthier beverage for booze at least some of the time. Seltzer or club soda, tomato or fruit juice, iced tea, or smoothies are thirst quenching and can be just as festive--good for your spirits as well as your body.

Reading from Menopause for Dummies

Stay tuned for more tips... biggrin

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes a glass if wine is soothing to me
    • Posted

They say that a beer a day is good for you too.  There are health benefits of drinking a beer per day.  smile
    • Posted

I have vertigo so get dizzy so can't drink anymore....I look loaded when I walk out of a restaurant and here I am sober cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.