Alcohol and skin turning red

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello last night I drank alot and noticed my face turned extremely red and blotchy and it was very warm. Has anyone else had this? This doesnt happen alot even when I do binge infact Ive only had it maybe 1-2 other times before but it is worrying!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You need to get your blood pressure checked after having a drink. Some people are less able to tolerate alcohol and need to keep an eye on their blood pressure. You will get a blood pressure monitor from the chemist for about £15.

Obviously, I don't know your ethnic background but if you are Asian, this is very common. About a third of Japanese, Chinese and Korean people go red when they drink. It is so common that, in those countries, nobody bats an eyelid at all the red faces in bars smile Even if you ARE Asia, suffering this so-called 'Asian Flush' means that you are at risk of high blood pressure and some other medical conditions.

• Posted

Hi thanks Paul no I am not Asian but It is making me worry about blood pressure. Its strange though how it has only happened 2-3 times with me and there has been instances were I have drank more and it hasnt happened. Im sure drinking much too quickly is probably something to do with it. Interesting about the monitor though didnt know they were so cheap! Im afraid I would generally have had too many drinks to take my blood pressure if I was having the flushed reaction but could certainly check it after having a few to see the difference! Thanks again
    • Posted

No, it's easy, your put the cuff on your upper arm (it sticks with velcro) and press the button. The cuff inflates and then deflates and then tells your your blood pressure and pulse. You could do it even after a few drinks.
  • Posted

Its definetly blood pressure which is showing you that the alcohol is affecting you circulatory system.  So that not only includes your heart...but your liver and kidneys as well.

No judgement here..I am an alcoholic and had 8 years sober....relapsed for the last 2 years...I am now a month sober.  My last bout ended me in hospital almost dead....it was affecting heart, kidney, liver.  I got scared straight.

We don't really think about the consequences when we are drinking...the first couple of drinks are relaxing and after that we can't stop and become very sick...and that is because we are putting poison in our bodies.  Poison is not an exaggeration...it is Ethanol a chemical not intended for human consumption.

Which has and is destroying the organs we need to sustain life....let it worry you enough to stop drinking.  Don't say I WANT to....say I WILL to save my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.