Alcohol and the Government

Posted , 12 users are following.

Alcohol and Heroin are the most addictive drugs and biggest drug killers in the world. Being an alcoholic who is trying to cut down I feel lucky that I came dependant on alcohol rather than heroin because I would of lost everything months ago.

Alcohol costs the NHS billions a year, and yes, I contribute to that, but it is a fraction. If the government wasnt so greedy and used the tax from alcohol on affordable rehab facilities rather than the coke and alcohol fueled party's we may have easier lives.

I'm not making excuses, but having admitting I am an alcoholic a short time a go, these realisations have hit home.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It's very simple. The government raises billions from alcohol taxes and won't spend (hardly) a penny on the problems alcohol cause.

It will spend plenty of money on heroin addicts, because they don't pay tax, and fund their addiction not by themselves, but by street crime.

Therefore the government, the judicial system and the probation services will spend money on heroin users to cut down street crime.

I have seen and beeen told this first hand, at an alcohol & drug recovery charity.

• Posted

Plus, it's tons easier to blame the addicts, as they almost always accept that yoke (thanks, AA). I'm beginning to think an ad campaign aimed at the diffuse addiction "virtual ghetto" created by current policy might yield some positive movement. % success with detox and abstinence, efficacy of mainstream treatments, the huge cost of intransigence and outdated information, etc. Some good old-fasioned grassroots righteous indignation. 

• Posted

Totally agree with you. In the end it's all down to money.

• Posted

Totally agree, Mathew.  I am always glad that I was never introduced to Heroin, or my life would have taken a very different path.

Thank you for starting  a very interesting thread.

• Posted

I was lucky to have left the country to go seek a better more fun life as a 19 year old. When I came back for a short while after 8 years, many old friends of friends were on heroin. 3 are now dead.

Yes, my life abroad probably caused my alcohol problem, but at least with booze , you don't need to commit street robberies etc to get money for a fix, you can simply Nick a bottle off the shelf. Still a crime but hardly on the same level 😃😃

• Posted

Hmm...very intersting...I remember about 12 years ago...frowning down upon a lady "heroin" addict that lives across the street from me.

I remember it was the FIRST time I looked at addiction in the same light.

Because I was home from work that day due to my DRINKING.  And I watched her as she met the "dealer" in the car on the corner.

And I thought...I am NO DIFFERENT....except my substance is legal...THAT is the ONLY difference.  She died by the way.

Then about 2 years later...I ended in a rehab and there was a girl (in for heroin abuse) lying on the bench crying as I was out smoking a cig....and I looked at her...and said to myself 

"My Oh My...I am NO DIFFERENT than her".  I am in the SAME place for the SAME reason...detox.  

Did I ever steal for booze? Yea, a little bit..probably robbed my mothers purse when I was younger.  Did I have to rob strangers? No...BUT only because...alcohol is cheap...and a 12 pack for 7 bucks goes way further than a bag of heroin for 20 sad.

• Posted

I agree Misssy. I sit in my alcohol and drug recovery place and see the drug addicts come in. It's a horrible place to go and in the beginning I would sit in a corner and try to make myself as small as possible, but then one day I sat waiting to see my counsellor and actually lifted my eyes up from the floor and looked at others and the realisation finally hit home that I exactly the same, an addict. Different poison but still an addict.

• Posted

I can honestly say that I thought I was ALWAYS above drug addicts.  But, I do not feel that way anymore.

Same cravings, Same horror show after we use or get drunk.

• Posted

I also feel lucky mathew...although alcohol lands me in hospital every other month...

If I ever did heroin...I would be dead now for sure.

Heroin is a very destructive drug...my son was addicted to it...he is off of it (even thou I don't see him I know)....I know he is off it because he would be dead by now...so many horror stories I have with that drug.

• Posted

HOw are you keeping Matthew?? Better? Just wondering after 2 months..Regards Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.