alcohol and venaflaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on 75 mg of venaflaxine a day which I take in the evening. Next day I went to to a birthday party, in the afternoon. I had about 4 pints of bitter, which I dont normally drink on these tablets, so I didnt take my tablet that day, but I felt awful for days after,

any comments

Bryan

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bryan

The way I see it is that anti-depressants increase the amount of chemicals that carry information in the brain. Alcohol decreases the amount of chemicals carrying information in the brain. Which is why people get slurry and can't walk properly, literally because the brain doesn't have the capacity to process all the information as quickly.

I'm no medical expert, but I'm guessing the combination of not taking the tablet and taking alcohol was a bit of a shock to your system, and it took a few days to get all those chemicals back to normal... I think we all make the mistake of drinking alcohol whilst on the tablets though, and I definitely won't be making that mistake again!!

I think drinking a little now and again is fine though, as long as you keep taking the tablets.

Hope that helped and take care

• Posted

Yep.

Your medication is replacing the chemicals that ur brain can`t naturally....to increase your feeling of well being.

Alcohol is a suppressant. So yep Id say a combination of not taking your medication and drinking has given u a little jolt.

The mistake alot of people make also, is to stop taking the medication once they feel better....thats another big mistake. Might take a little while for your mood to go down...but it will. So keep taking them.

Hope u feel better.

• Posted

On my packet of Venlafaxine XL capsules the label says specifically

\"avoid alcohol\"

It's a v v v bad idea to interrupt a course of antidepressants - alcohol on top is even worse. I just don't drink alcohol any more, ever.

• Posted

I have found I have very bad hangovers if I drink more than 4 pints while taking Venlafaxine.

The best advice is to not drink alchohol while taking anti depressives, or only moderately, but Lord knows people with depression deserve a night out at a party or a pub once in a while! But know your limits or have someone there you trust to watch how many you have.

• Posted

I went out on Saturday on a work night out and wasnt to sure about drinking etc, I still took my tablet (on 75mg at the mo) and I did end up drinking lots.

I had no hangover, but i think its the most drunk I have ever been & I know I have drank more in the past & not been as bad. There is a bit of the night I cant remeber at all, I think this was the alcohol & meds mixture as I have never had that before.

Was with my hubby so I know I was safe, but i dont at all like the idea of having mind blanks! He said I kept going off to the toilets for 20 mins & so, but to me it was only a few mins - so I wont be drinking that much again while on the meds, thats for sure.

If you do drink tho, make sure your safe

• Posted

I only take 18.5mg's per day but even when i was on 37.5 i still drunk alot and was/am fine with it. maybe ive just got used to the mixture!?!

I do seem to get bad hangovers though and soon after taking a tablet whilst hungover I feel even worse

• Posted

I'm on 150mg and have been for about 3 months.

I can drink loads and I never seem to get drunk and I never have a hangover in the morning.... maybe I've got an issue with using alcohol? I do find I sleep so much better after a bottle or two of wine in the evening though!!

• Posted

Take care with the booze.

Not preaching. I drink plenty myself :roll: . Venlafaxine can mess about with the enzymes in your liver and thus increase or reduce your tolerance for alcohol. Everyone's different so find your own tolerance levels and take care.

Merry Christmas all.

• Posted

Been out tonight with friends for dinner. Had a few glasses of wine. Maybe a few too many. Why is it that I could carry on drinking for England? Just feel tired, not drunk though. I seem to have developed a high tolrence as well.

I am not too sure whether this is the depression pushing this as my head feels clear and the Ven is making that happen. I want to go into the New Year feeling better and to move forward with my life rather than being a drug dependant mad person!

Feeling numb now.

• Posted

Hi

I have had two glasses of wine and it's only just gone 5:30...!

I went out on a stag do last week and I got really really drunk. I had been off the beer for a month and didn't really miss it during that time. After the stag do last week all I have done is think about drinking and drinking a bottle of wine a night. I get the idea in my head and it doesn't go away and I don't know if this is developing into a problem or it is a sign of the depression returning!

Does anyone else have these experiences on Ven or am I really becoming an alcholic?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.