Alcohol/Anxiety need to vent!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I get terrible anxiety when I drink. Usually day

1 of not drinking my anxiety calms down. Not this time. 24 hours since my last drink. I have headache and palpitations. My chest is tight and it actually feel like my heart is skipping beats. Scary feeling. I've taken Xanax. My blood pressure is ok. I just feel like my heart is gonna stop beating. It beats real fast and then stops and makes me even more nervous. Just looking for someone to chat with. Praying tomorrow is better. I can see me at the ER. Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear Kelly, we are all here for you. I too had a very bad day of intense anxiety.

?Know we are all here for you and I can imagine how scared you are. With your BP being good, your heart is racing on adrenaline. I hope the Xanax helped.

?I'm praying for you and tomorrow will be better. I'm here if you want to talk.

• Posted

Thanks! I can deal with just about anything when it comes to anxiety. I've had every symptom there is. I just don't think I've ever felt my heart beat and stop and thump and beat fast and stop etc.. Now I wish I'd have gotten the ekg my doctor ordered last week. It might have put me at ease. I'm just a mad mess tonight trying to stay as calm as possible.

• Posted

I can totally relate. I have to talk with my doctor, but I have been diagnosed with bipolar. With all the med change, instead, I feel I'm suffering from a panic disorder. Constant anxiety.

?I'm right there with you. I'm trying to remain calm and rationale. We can do it together smile

?It's never too late to call your doctor and reschedule. Do it. If you can handle the symptoms of anxiety, you are wonder woman to me.

?Call your doctor. It will put your mind at ease. I too am a mad mess tonight, so you are not alone.

• Posted

Bipolar is tough to deal with. I praise you for hanging tough! I guess handle wasn't the right word. What I meant is that I can understand all symptoms related to anxiety and not over react. Now I'm worried. I still have the EKG order. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can still use it or if I need a new order. You're right. I should put my mind at ease. I'm sorry you're having a bad night. Where are you from?

• Posted

Hey kelly Im sorry Im late. I went to ER had palipatations.My heart wld start pounding out my chest 5am 530am I cant drink Alcohol it has a Reverse reaction on me instead of calming me down,It does excact.Opposite I can't sleep.i cry.Im a hot mess drunk.so I never drink.a few times it made my anxiety worse.an depressed.If taken the xanax makes this go away. its all anxiety.alcohol is a downer effect but it counter acting on you.Heres what i have to do to even sleep.have my room complete dark.1 small calming light.and no noise or TV on.and a fan,for white noise.My EKG come back fine.I been on xanax a long time.had this on and off since i was 6 yrs old.im 58 now.Prayers an please let me know how your doing.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you were at the ER.  I hope you're feeling better!!!

I haven't had a drink in 4 days and each day my anxiety gets better and I'm sleeping so good!  The other night I got 10 straight hours of sleep.  

If I drink again I should be smacked!  I quit in 2002 for 11 years and then in 2013 I started again.  It's going to be extra hard to quit this time because last time I went to rehab.  

I'm glad your EKG came back normal.  smile  

Nothing seems to calm me except "not drinking" and I just started a half a dose (7.5 mg of Mirtazapine) and seeing how things go from there.  Hugs!  Hang in there!

• Posted

Oh so happy for you. sometimes things happen for reasons.Maybe.The drinking would of done something to you liver or worse so take it as a Blessing. you can not drink. Just think of what you will go threw if you do drink.I had this happen to me when I was a addict.got scared right out of addiction. it only happens for very little percent of people. I was taking grand mal seizures every time i got high. so it scared me so bad i went to rehab an quit. hugz stay in touch. will keep you in my prayers. I had my heart beating out my sides. my chest. ohh myy not anymore.Im done. except have to take my xanax an i never take over my dose. because id have a attack. if id be 1 day short. Keep please in touch. u are family now
    • Posted

I'm sorry.  Did I say my anxiety was getting better?  UGH!  I did so good until last night.  I didn't sleep at all until early this morning and I had to call off work.  I have FMLA but I also had it before for pain in my lower back (spinal stenosis) and a bulging disc.  It picked up where it left off so I have about 2 days a month I can take until July of 2017.  I hit my limit this month!  

I was so full of anxiety last night I thought I was going to die.  And things were/are getting better in my life.  

I took 3 nights of 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine and the first two nights were great.  Last night was terrible panic attacks.  Anxiety feeling all over the body.  Like restless body syndrome.  

I'm praying this is my body either not liking the mirtazapine or the fact that I'll have anxiety for awhile since I just quit drinking 5 days ago.

I did make a dr appt.  I have no idea what she can do for me anymoresad

I was also in rehab back in 2002 to quit drinking.  I quit for 11 years and started in 2013 and ever since May of 2015 I've been trying to quit on my own.  I think this time I got extremely scared.  I'm not going to let anxiety give in.  I did try to take some Xanax last night but it didn't help me.  I swear anything that is supposed to calm me makes me feel more anxious. 

Thanks for talking with me.  I know what being scared straight out of addiction means this time.  I can't afford to go through this again.  Each time I quit the healing process is worse and the anxiety get higher.  

i'm glad you take the xanax as you should.  It's always scary worrying about turning one addiction into another.  

May I ask where you're from ? 

• Posted

Kelly Im from Pa. sorry i have not been on. we went to rehab same year.2002. so I was doing really good. getting out everyday. had a bad panic attack when i went to the YMCA.....smh  of all places. as soon as i went near the sauna and pool area which was hot. I went into a attack could not breath felt like i leavin the world. heart pounding.so I thought back. why? when i was small kid  other children locked me in a closed shed. so I know I could never go in a sauna no way to closed in.Kelly i know what you mean 1 addiction to another.had 4 addiction going at 1 time after I lost my mom.got so thin I looked sick. before 2002 it was opiates an benzos but i almost died on that detox they sent me back to hospital 3 times. Id love to talk to you.I think we could help each other.hugs and send positive energy to you just happy if u get this.
    • Posted

I'll reply to your other message after work. I am from PA also. I went to rehab with a Lynn. Lol. It would be great to talk. I'm at work now so I'll touch base later. By the way....I live near Hershey. I went to rehab at the Caron Foundation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.