Alcohol as a bronchial stimulant

Posted , 4 users are following.

I often use a half shot of brandy to stimulate clearing mucus. Do others find this helpful?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've always been told that the French believe brandy/cognac to be helpful to the lungs ,,and it makes me feel better whether it's medicinal or nu.

• Posted

I say whatever works for you and makes you feel better, go for it.  
  • Posted

The National Institute of Heath in the US sponsored a study that made this conclusion.  Google NIH Alcohol COPD.  I know a Nurse who said they use to put alcohol in a nebiulizer in the pulmonary treatment lab. The problem they had and many will have is: some is good more is better thinking.  

The nurse said the problem they had with the use of Alcohol as a treatment; it can lead to the devistation of Alcoholism. 

• Posted

Wow!  What country was the use of alcohol used as a treatment for COPD?  Personally, I don't consume alcohol but certainly don't judge anyone that does so in moderation.  That's always the key, that damn

moderation word.  

• Posted

The US National Institute of Health (NIH) funds research through competitive grants. One definite criteria is good research practices including solicitation of international review. Good science is international.

The USA is just a funding source.

Research in Germany that shows marijuana to support good breathing is probably not a position taken by the German government. (I have no personal information about its effectiveness.)

More on the alcohol study.

It was done with 100% alcohol so only the effect of alcohol was studied.

Then further study was conducted on some types. Wine and beer had additional ingredients that are not good for lung therapy and to some extent limited the positive effects.

80 proof alcohol including Brandy was better. All three had some positive effects.

I enjoy this conversation and our ongoing conversation on how to best live with COPD and when to be our own doctors and when to not.

• Posted

I will say that wine & beer don't make my lungs feel better instantly better in the way cognac does. But then I'm drinking those for the cholesterol/heart effect. I thought of all y'all last night as I stared at the next bottle of wine. Since it was just pinot noir, I couldn't be bothered to open it. If the rest of the States hadn't recently discovered the joys of what we Texans have always loved - tequila - and driven the price of it so high, I'd emulate my folks and have a bit of that every night. Of course we mostly got ours even cheaper across the border.

• Posted

Wow rod04227.....why in the world would you use something that is a depressant to your lungs and entire body....No way....You certainly didn't give enough information for anyone to really help you.  Age, smoker, vapor, what is your diagnosis and what stage.  Obviously no one has told you that alcohol depresses the respiratory system.  You should never use anything that will suppress it.  All you are doing is asking for a nice trip to the ECCU unit with Pneumoccal Pneumonia with or without complications.  Not a pretty picture and no a cheap fix.  You need to get educated on what is going on it's your body.  Either you are going to take care of it and stop the foolishness or you are going to wither away.  It's your choice to take responsibility for whatever it is you have and be proactive in your treatment.  Get a grip because this is not a fix.....this is your new life....You need to see a doctor before I can say anything else.  But to answer your question, NO, I do not and most COPD patients do not use alcohol to stimulate clearing mucus.  All you are doing is suppressing the mucus which is going to infect your body.  Breathless

• Posted

He was talking specifically about brandy, and brandy specifically has a long history in England and elsewhere as a restorative. In that case it's just a mouthful. Sometimes I'll take a swallow when sob or sicker than normal. It never makes me worse. If nothing else it may relax the person & their bronchospasms. Again, just a mouthful and no reason to call out the WCTU.

• Posted

It's your lives and breath not mine, so you do as you feel necessary.  Most do not mix alcohol with steroid use.  Not my call.  Just be responsible.

• Posted

As you can read I use little alcohol. I need to study the mentioned concern. Thanks.
    • Posted

How funny: if I took steroids I'd instantly need massive quantities of depressants! But mostly I strive for 3-4 oz daily red wine or dark beer for cholesterol (can't take statins, either), often going a week or two without. Pint of cognac lasts at least a year, 90% goes in cooking.

Out of the 4 pulmonologists and a couple of pulmonary physician's assistants I've seen and 5 GPs in the last 20 years, not one suggested that my ex or I should never drink alcohol. Since the ex used to drink quite a lot & is often on steroids, I wonder if this is another difference between UK - US approach? (Ex no longer drinks at all, constant dizziness made it too dangerous.)

• Posted

That is quite odd.  I know there were many differences in medical care while we were living in other countries.  At times the Pharmacist was actually the physician.  In South America the doctors are only called in if it's something the pharmacist can't handle.  No need for script (RX)  you could get anything you wanted from the pharmacist over the counter.  In Switzerland it was an entirely different story, and in Israel the same.  I'm not certain that medications in the United States are the best way to go.  i.e.  Chemotherapy and Radiation....I don't think they have ever been effective for anyone.  Why they do not legalize cannabis is beyond me.  My hats off to you that you have survived this diagnosis for 20 years.  Wow...I'm excited to hear that.  I would certainly like to know exactly how you are controlling your COPD....and what your age is.  Best wishes to you and your wife..  By the way these steroids do not make me feel jittery in the least.  whether it's the inhalers or the nebulizers (if needed).  God Bless....let me hear from you.  Breathless.

• Posted

By the way have any of you used the Tumeric, Garlic and Ginger root treatment?  I was given the doses by a pulmonary /respiratory therapist, but I have not tried it as yet.  You are to take two tablespoons on an empty stomach each morning.  and each evening.  I am wondering if this is actually something precribed or just a hype.  Let me know.

• Posted

Turmeric for COPD Treatment

Turmeric or its active component, curcumin, is also on Edwards’ list of vitamins and supplements for COPD because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric, a mainstay of Indian cuisine, is believed to block the production of nuclear-factor kappa B, (NFkB), which controls the production of inflammatory proteins. “Turmeric is second to fish oil in terms of anti-inflammatory effects.

A study a few years ago in mice showed that curcumin inhibited inflammation of the airways common in COPD. More high-quality studies are needed, Edwards says, but turmeric shows promise.

Found this on the Internet. I will try your dosing suggestion.

• Posted

Hi Breathless

Do y'all not do chemo &/or radiation for cancer? If not, how do you treat it when it's inoperable? I am not certain that I would accept those treatments if I had cancer, but I know tons of folks who've had longer lives due to them.

I'm the woman, my ex is the man. We both were diagnosed about the same time. He's now been on oxygen 24/7 for 5 yrs. They recently switched him to Breo & he likes that. I pray that if I live long enough to need oxygen I will have the strength - or insanity - to refuse it.

His lungs were much more damaged than mine. He started smoking at age 9, 2 or 3 packs a day til his late 30s. He then started a weatherization company so he inhaled tons of insulation back when we used nasty stuff for that. I smoked cigs much longer but didn't start til I was 19 and smoked pack/day. I am glad I enjoyed smoking since the price is so high!

I use Advair twice daily and albuterol and/or combivent prn. We've tried me on some other inhalers and I couldn't tolerate them. Because I can't do steroids and have problems with at least 70% of American antibiotics, I avoid people with colds sniffles, etc. I can no longer tolerate flu shots. I also recently started using NAC, the capsule form of Mucomist. (After inhaling smoke from a small kitchen fire) Other than that, I've done deep breathing exercises since my 20s, and lately I've worked my way up to 2-mile walks several times weekly. Of course that's almost entirely on flat land, I plan carefully. Had a hard time walking up an incline w/my goddaughter the other day, most folks wouldn't even notice the grade. I can't walk across parking lots when air temperature is above 100, can't breathe. I know I am much better off than many folks with COPD.

Take caren

• Posted

I couldn't attempt that garlic combo first thing on an empty stomach! I eat those things but I need to have something in my gut 1st. I take occasional turmeric/curcumin capsules, part of my multi-pronged battle against high cholesterol ,,, I prefer eating some raw almonds smile

You and Rod keep us posted on whether this helps.

• Posted

No doc nor even the nurse I mentioned recommended the use of alcohol.  Maybe I am a risk taker and like to try things out, hopefully carefully, by myself - look things up etc.  Part of my careful risk taking is chatting with you.  Not all COPD is the same.  Doc said recently that bronchial restriction is my biggest problem.  Tension of those smooth muscles.  It is not all pretty for me here.  Do not let me mislead, trying to be optimistic.  I had the most sever flare-up ever recently. Sever SOB one night, coughing up those taletale specks of blood, fever, antibiotics, prednisone   It shook my confidence. 

I was unknowingly in an area with tiny dust particles for three hours. Dust as you may know is tough for us. 

I am probably controlling my COPD like most with this disease in the world. Primary treatment is an inhaler with two medications that both relax bronchial restriction and calm inflammation so less mucus is produced. 

four tablespoons of turmeric sounds way high.  My internet search says yes these help.  Could find no dosing recommends  just explore.  But I would ask a doc what the max use could be.  Things you try and do for yourself carefully give you a sense of power that is very necessary.  It is not being your own doc but it is being your own doc in a way.   Drink lots of water, exercise at your level, eat right, laugh when you can, love yourself and others.  Build YOUR list of routines and home remidies for your health.  

Mostly trying to. Teach myself as I write. 

God Bless...Let me hear from you. 

• Posted

OMG! 4 tablespoons of turmeric? Who suggested that? Not long ago I had one of these vegetarian capsules of turmeric exploding betwixt mouth and stomach and it was one of the most unpleasant things that's ever happened to me medicinal. (Give me an old-fashioned gelatin capsule every time!) Don't think my throat could handle anything with 4T turmeric, cooked or not. It would never have a chance to reach my stomach.

Give me that thimble of cognac, I'd rather die young with a smile than old with an "Ach! Choking on that goldarned m'frickin' turmeric yet again" face, lol.

• Posted

Medicinal or in the name of good health, should say.
    • Posted

Well  I am on my 4th day of taking 2 tablespoons of the Tumeric, Garlic Brown Sugar and Ginger Root ....I recieved a message today from a University Prof., who has been using it for 5 months....  I have had no problems with indigestion, pain, reflux, and no coughing.  I am able to swim and exercise, even attempted helping to mow the lawn last weekend, but it's entirely too hot in Texas to do that...so stay under the sprinkler in the pool and continue taking my precribed medications..  Spiriva and Symbicort along with Metalucast and Claritin.  I have my nebulizers if things get bad, or wheezing begins.  I'm up for any challenge that will give me a longer life....So here I am, swallowing this sweet emulsion on an empty stomach every day...Thank God I can breath.  and I am grateful for each day.  Blessings to each of you.

• Posted

Isn't it interesting that we are all so different?  Some people, like yourself,

can swallow 2 tablespoons of tumeric, etc. and it's just fine for them, while others wouldn't be able to tolerate the stuff!  

I have a ginger tea that I drink, not on a regular basis, but when I am feeling particularly phlegmy, it helps.  If I were on the drugs and inhalers that you take I would end up in hospital with allergic reactions to same.  Unfortunately I can't tolerate most meds., I am on one inhaler.

Keep on keeping on breathless.  Breathe easy.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.