Alcohol benefits?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been subject to a peculiar phenomenon which has defined my own, Nobody can offer a satifactory explanation including my GPs.

Maybe there id someone on this excellent foram who has the answer.

I suffer from a number of physical and mental ailments all of which disappear after a couple of glasses of alcohol.

I will relate a 'for instance'

If a threw a dart at a dart board sober I am lucky if I hit the board, however, after a drink I can hit the bullseye more or less every time.

As a local darts champion I an anxious to defend my title which necessitates drinking more and more alcohol.

This can't continue for obvious reasons. I have no desire to become an alcoholic which I am close too at the moment.

Please can anyone offer an explanation?

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are telling yourself what youwant to hear.  Same as a shy person who has a few drinks and becomes life and soul of the party. You said it  yourself, Youare "close to becoming an alcoholic" and darts has nothing to do with that. You are making excuses, same as a lot of alcoholics do.

• Posted

I beg to differ on your opinion.

When someone has something they love...or something that is their livelyhood...and they know drinking is helping...it does become "confusing" as to why we can't do these things sober.

I don't think this person was making excuses...although I know I have made many "excuses" thru my drinking history....I drank because my kids were difficult - excuse. I drank because work was stressful - excuse. I drank because my mother kicked me out - excuse.

But, when I lost my creativity at work when I stopped drinking...I really only drank because i had to get thru the next project...I really wasn't providing the "quality" of work that i was providing when I was drinking and I really believed drinking was the answer...vs. an excuse to drink.

I like the poster did not really want to drink anymore but I wanted to be good at my job. I did figure out ways to be good at my job....and stayed sober for 8 years..but honestly...I never had the same "creativity" in that 8 years that I had when I was drinking.

And the science and research shows...that there is some weight to this..as drinking does relax the body and mind.

• Posted

Thanks Misssy. It's all to easy to put this predicament down to an excuse to drink. But do we drink and have an exciting life or do we curl up in the corner and be miserable? Anyway I don't want to hear all the misunderstandings, I just wanted to know why? Your suggestion that it is to do with muscle relaxiation is very helpful. Thanks for that.

• Posted

Performance enhancer.

I just copied this from a website:

Why? In the case of archery and other sports that require hitting a target, it’s likely because alcohol relaxes the body and slows movement. Archers require muscle endurance in addition to strength when they draw the bowstring, according to David Mottram in his 2005 book Drugs in Sport. Any slight deflection could cause the arrow to miss the target. So relaxed muscles are needed to foster a smooth pull and release—and alcohol loosens muscles, creating a relaxed grip that can hold steadier for longer.

• Posted

Thanks Missy2 sounds all too familiar. So I have to find a way of relaxing my muscles that does not rely on alcohol.
    • Posted

I'm the google queen..lol.

Here you go:

By gently squeezing and releasing your muscles, you can increase blood circulation and help relax muscles. For example, use your left hand to squeeze the deltoid muscle on your right arm. Take a slow, deep breath, and hold the pressure for five seconds.

• Posted

interesting point about archery since I did this for many years from the ago of 11 and never had any alchohol...obviously!! total focus is required and the exact same movements all the time but also accounting for changes in winds...the arrow will change course...enough.....back to Barden and darts...sorry but it will be best if if you dring less and less.....your mind will gradually change and you will eventually become more relaxed once you are proud of achievements as a non drinker but a hard choice.. try to change and best of luck Robin
    • Posted

Thanks for your contribution, Robin. I have noticed, over the years, that most people,s performance declines with the more alcohol they drink. For me the opposite is true.
  • Posted

Hi, How much do you Drink? And how long for?

• Posted

Far too much and as time goes by i need to drink more and more to achieve the same result. Please don't chastise me. I do realise that the route I'm on will eventually destroy me.

• Posted

You made me curious because when I was working I was so creative..I was looked up to for my great ideas...these great ideas came at night when I was drinking and I would make up power point slides..that were beautiful with charts..etc...displaying my ideas in a visual manner.

When I got sober..I no longer had these ideas...I had them..but they weren't as great...I just googled why am I more creative drunk...and the SAME philosphy is implied...the key is "relaxation"...the article I just read said they did studies on drunk people vs. not drunk and the drunks came out on top for the tasks that were at hand....

The "research" article stated that drinking relaxes the brain...and hence...creativity flows better.  So, that was something that always troubled me...because I didn't want to stop drinking knowing that it would impact my job...so I didnt stop..but ultimately the DRINKING did impact my job in a much bigger way.

As far as darts...yea...it will be hard for you but if you really practice that relaxation techique and you really want to stop drinking..it MAY just work for you.

• Posted

Thanks Missy2 at least I now know that i not the only one who can enhance their performance with alcohol. You have sent on a new line of research of mucle relaxation.
    • Posted

Hi Missy2, once again thanks for your thoughts.

I haven't been totally honest with you. I have been 'dry' for nearly three years and I have to say the worst three years of my life.

During this tine I have tried all the therapies without success.

It is decision time.

Either I have a miserable time without alcohol or I have fun with alcohol.

I am fed up with sitting in the corner trying to overcome my self-conciousness.

I want to be the life and sole of the party again. Even my friends are now longer talking to me.

It sounds pathetic but I do not want to be where I am now.

• Posted

Hello Barden,

I am very surprised to observe 3 years and no drinking and so miserable..for most people it is obviously the opposite. However, your 1st message did confirm that you play better dart after some drinks..very unusual and not at all certain what to offer...we are all proud and happy IF we have managed to stay off drinking and feel so much better.....what to offer you?? Drinking again?? do not recommend so...tricky indeed!! Robin

• Posted

I understand when you say your dry years have been the worst in your life...I felt like the 8 years I had sober were the worst of mine...but honestly, I would give my life to have them back now....don't drink....just for darts...its not worth it for darts or anything..

• Posted

I also did creative Power Point slides at work and I would be rubbish at trying to be clever and prepping something really artistic until I had a glass of wine in the evening and start thinking about my project for the  next day and all of a sudden I would jump up and put pen to paper and draw what I wanted to portray.  I never put it down to a glass of red but it worked wonders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.