Alcohol Dependent

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been drinking very heavily for several months now to deal with my depression and anxiety. I wake up in the morning with tremors, nausea, dry vomiting and most times during night I can't keep my legs still.

I want to stop, wouid my GP be able to help? I really don't want to drink anymore, it's horrible, I do so out of fear of withdrawal more then out of want. If I went to my GP would he help me by prescribing something to help me withdrawn (if such a thing exists?) Or would he refer me to a community treatment centre and send me home without anything to help (which would likely force me to drink again).

I can't believe I am where I am now. Please advice. 

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ozram,

First of all well done for admitting you have a Alcohol Problem, as you reckonise you can't stop & have an Addiction is the first step to Recovery, I think you have some great Advice on here already, and exactly as i would have Adviced as many have on here already you cannot Just stop drinking its very Dangerous & you,d be sure to go into a full blown withdrawel & have Sezuires, There is help out there, I'm not going to say its going to be a easy road because i,d be liying & its also if your ready to quit, Its also how much you want to come off alcohol & if your really ready to lead a alcohol free life, even after withdrawing & being Alcohol free the battle starts in quitting for good, there are some great Support groups out there Ozram, Especailly in your Local area, Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a free self-help group. Its "12-step" programme involves getting sober with the help of regular support groups,

Another is the The Southwark Substance Misuse Team is a team of qualified social workers who work closely with the PCT, the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and independent sector providers.

The team accepts referrals, including self-referrals, for Southwark residents aged 18 to 64 years who are experiencing problems with alcohol and want to work towards abstinence.

The team can offer advice and may be able to refer you to other services, including counselling, structured day activities and mutual aid groups.

To find out more about how the substance misuse team may be able to help you, contact them Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on 020 7919 2403,

You Can also ask your Gp for Advice & treatment in your Local area,

Hope this has helped a little Ozram, & I wish you the Very Best & hope with help & Support you enjoy your new found freedom from Alcohol Addiction on the Rd to Recovery! Stay Positive & Most Importantly don't Give up :-)

• Posted

Hi Ozram,

I,am Sorry i have just saw your otherpost to jill40814,

I'm really pleased to see you have managed to get yourself off Alcohol, Well done you! But like you says your tying to keep busy & not think about Alcohol But Unfortunely with the many reminders, Like Pubs-Clubs in London this msut be Hard for you! Hope you don't mind me asking if you,ve Involed with any Support Groups, Like the ones I've mentioned in my other post to you? if you are then thats great & my Advice would be Carry on with whats working for you & stay Positive & think about all the great Rewards being Alcohol free will bring you, Not to mention your health, more money & family & friends, which I'm sure there all Suppoting you! Butif your not in a Support group then it may be a good Idea to Join one & meet people who have been where you are & listen to there stories of what worked for them & what helped them to stay Alcohol/Drug Free, & great way of meeting new & fresh people in your life who don't need alcohol anymore, But what ever you do, I wish you the very best & remember Only take baby steps untill your stong enough to take bigger ones :-) x

• Posted

whatever you may be given  AVOID SSRIS.  Selective Serotonin Reuptake Ihibitors (Ads)... they create alcohol cravings.  Effexor was horrific for me.  8 year suddenly focusing on alcohol, off then, the wild cravings are gone.  I have read Citalopram and Zoloft has the same effect.   
    • Posted

I agree. I used to be on Fluoxetine (Prozac) and it had some pretty dreadful side effects, the insomnia was particularly disgusting as well as a general sickly feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.