Alcohol Dependent + Anxiety/Panic Disorder

Posted , 4 users are following.

New here, and shesh where do i start. 3 months ago I suffered a massive panic attack, I'm 42 and my 19yo daughter had to call the ambulance. NEVER experienced anything like this ever before... as you all know, i thought my time had come!!!!. Since that day I have suffered day and night long anxiety symptoms... and I mean, every symptom you have read about.... I can hardly function during the day and don't sleep at night... I've had 95% of them. multiple trips to the ER, multiple tests. all clear.

I have been on 50mg of Sertraline for 5 weeks and still wake up every morning hoping to see an improvement, but alas.... bear minimum improvement. Where I struggle to find support is the fact I am also alcohol dependent and trying to cut down and eventually stop drinking. I was an extremely heavy drinker for a good 6 years before the panic attack (i mean EVERY NIGHT 12+ bourbon n coke), I am a moderate drinker now as I was advised not to just STOP drinking altogether but to cut down.

On top of all this, my relationship ended and myself and 2 daughters had to move cities and I also had to stop working AND can barely drive.

Just wondering if anyone else is also having the same struggle, feels like a vicious never-ending cycle, my country's mental health system absolutely SUCKS! any advise would be greatly appreciated. sorry it's so long.... I'm complicated haha

Feeling like this will always be my future 😦

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi there Becs,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a bad time.

I have been through everything you are talking about and I want to give you hope in that this will not always be your future. Nothing lasts forever and it can be changed.

I had my last drink 22 years ago and I have worked in an addiction clinic so I have some knowledge.

Although it is true that it is not a good idea to stop alcohol cold turkey as it can be very dangerous, it is also true that when you decrease the dosage that you are used to you will have withdrawal symptoms and that is probably where your anxiety is coming from together with your life circumstances (end of relationship + move).

I would very strongly encourage you to get help to give up alcohol with support, it makes all the difference. When you stop you will not believe in all the ways that your life will improve, it's quite incredible! The anxiety will decrease. There is help out there...A.A. is everywhere, if you try one group and you don't like it you can always try another, you will find your people. Or if you can afford it there are great private treatments.

I strongly encourage you to go ahead with this, I think you are ready for it and you deserve it!!

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Wishing you the very best! x

• Edited

Thank you so much for your reply, my desire to stop is 100% there, the one thing I'm worrying about is the risk of having a withdrawal seizure (obviously having anxiety) this fear is out the gate, so I just don't know at point I can stop drinking completely ☹️

• Posted

Hello,

That is why I suggest doing it with help.

There is a medication that they can give you to ensure a smooth transition with no withdrawal seizure.

Even your GP should be able to help with this. Which country are you in? In a lot of countries GP's will help or send you to a special team for extra support.

You can always find your nearest A.A. (great support) or at a push, if you have nobody else you can also ask at the pharmacy in they can point you in the right direction.

Your frame of mind is right so please don't miss out on this chance to act on it and improve your life.

Best x

• Edited

Hi Becs,

As others have said going to AA would be your best option. you will get a lot of support and a proven programme to follow.

For anxiety also look up Dr Clair weeks on you tube. Hope you find some peace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.