Alcohol Free Beer and Gout

Posted , 4 users are following.

What effect does Alcohol Free Beer have on Gout and Hyperuricemia?

I know that both beer and alcohol are both bad for gout but is alcohol free beer ok?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

In my opinion it will be better. It has the calories, purines, sugars and grain material, but it doesn't have the alcohol. A good part of the problem with alcohol is that it is a diuretic, hence the phrase "drink a pint p-ss a quart", which doesn't apply to alcohol free beer. Give it a try!

• Posted

Thanks, will try it out.  Might wait a while, going to try a stay on a strict diet for a bit longer and try to avoid stuff with a lot of sugars
  • Posted

But it's disgusting. I do laugh that there are so many posts regarding alcohol, whereas animal protein causes far more problems. I have read some extensive writings on gout and alcohol, and they are quite interesting. Apparently it's not the alcohol that is the real problem, it's what the alcohol is made of, and the fact it can dehydrate you. There is no hard evidence hat wine is a problem if your water intake is OK. Cider also appears to be pretty safe, whilst bitter, Guiness and spirits are a bit of a no no.

Take your pills and experiment a bit alcohol, but don't for god's sake stop drinking all together, you will just become boring.

• Posted

I do not know what material you have been reading, but I read the academic journals in English and two other languages, and I have noted the following: ones chances of getting gout and of having a gout attack are dose dependant on alcohol. ie the more you drink the more likely you are to have gout and get gout flares. The only consistent reference to which type of alcohol is that beer drinkers fare worse than those who drink other types of alcohol.

There are dozens of peer reviewed studies on this subject, but to quote Prof Ed Roddy of Nottingham university hospital

"Alcohol consumption has also been shown to trigger attacks of acute gout.....a dose-dependent relationship was found between the number of alcoholic drinks consumed in the previous 48 hours and an acute attack of gout (seven alcoholic drinks in 48 hours: OR = 2.5, 95% CI = 1.1, 5.9) Several mechanisms by which alcohol predisposes to hyperuricaemia have been proposed....."

• Posted

I drink moderately, a couple pints of cider a day, and possibly a glass of wine. I avoid beer and spirits. I should also mention that I am a life long veggie, and this may be a contributing factor. I take my Allupirinol on a daily basis as if my life depended on it, and although I still get a few aches and pains in my right foot, I do not get attacks. On the other hand there are members of this forum who do nothing but eat salad and drink water yet still suffer badly. My point is that we are different, and what effects one person may not effect another. 

When giving advice to anyone I never tell them to stop drinking alcohol, nor do I tell them to stop eating animal protein. My advice is always take the drugs, and carefully find out what works for you. Life is for living, don't let gout take it over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.