alcohol hypnotherapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried this or know much about it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was given hypnotherapy and also acupuncture by my local alcohol recovery service (ARC) some years ago.  It's amazing how the ARC's tend to push people towards these type of complimentary style treatments despite there being very little clinical evidence that they actually work!

With regards to hypnotherapy even the NHS Choices website states 'Hypnosis is widely promoted as a treatment for various long-term conditions and for breaking certain habits. This is despite the fact there's no strong evidence to support these uses.'

Alcohol Use Disorder is a mental health condition involving the strengthening of pathways in the brain that associate alcohol as providing a reward.  It is now defined as a chronic mental health condition and not a behavioural issue.

That is not to say that hypnotherapy would not work for you, just because it didn't work for me, but my opinion of it is that it may provide some short term relief in terms of relaxation and the ability to focus better on the situation BUT I cannot see how it can provide any long-term influence on the actual underlying reward system in the brain that is creating your cravings and driving you to drink. 

• Posted

Read a great self help book today, free download ''alcohol lied to me''. Its an amazing book and i would be amazed if it didnt help most people. I might give the hypnotherapy a try anyway. All help is a good thing i believe. Thanks for replying

• Posted

oops...I cannot help and have NO idea..but Joanne C3 has!! Robin
  • Posted

I've no experience of hypnotherapy, but acupuncture certainly helped me. I had a home detox with a CPN who visited me daily to provide acupuncture and Librium. I continued with the acupuncture afterwards and it certainly helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.