Alcohol induced panic attack?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello anyone,

I'm curious to find out if there are others that have panic attacks induced by alcohol. I had my first major holy crap my life is over, this is my last day on earth panic attack about 3 weeks ago , which I firmly believe was alcohol induced. I drank way to much, I'm 28 years old and had a 30 pack of Budweiser to myself in one night ...woke up the next day and had a panic attack that afternoon...two weeks later I felt a bit better and wanted to confirm my hypothesis of it being the alcohol that caused it...sure enough I woke up the next day and I had another bad attack. Well this time I knew what was happening and didn't go to the emergency room. But both panic attacks have left me where I have this panic attack hangover...which consist of dizzyness, shortness of breath, pain in my neck and hot neck, bad head aches etc. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had panic attacks by alcohol? Panic attacks are huge on my mothers side, she would get them from smoking weed until she quit years ago...I myself am not a weed smoker. But I'm wondering if there's some link in my heredity to not being able to handle substances in my body. As I write this I'm recovering from a mini panic attack I had earlier And I haven't even drank in 9 days.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joel,

Me here, yes I do believe substance abuse can lead to anxiety/panic attacks. I have in the past smoked weed and drank a bit. I think it maybe a contributing factor to my anxiety now ...maybe it changed the wirring in my brain or maybe I was always prone/sensitive to an anxiety disorder as it has been in my immediate family. I recall one time when I was 16 and it was my first time smoking pot. My heart raced like anything because of the chemicals in the pot but I never freaked out about it for some reason I just knew it was the weed and I never developed "fear of teh fear" sort of thing. Around the age of 16, I did have my first panic attack in a library though. Couple years ago I went to a friends place down the line and binged hard out on alcohol . I was very nervous at the time as we were gogin out to the pub and yet despite all the alcohol I had taken, I still had a panic attack. I think I am rambling but I would say yes I do feel alcohol can create an anxiety attack as it can be "over loading" on your body and it's trying to cope with this poison . Alcohol is a poison so your body was probably having a chemical reaction to it. I am sorry you're going through this! I think we all encounter this at some time or rather in our lives ... Thanks again for your help previously smile 

• Posted

Oh Joel!  WELCOME TO MY WORLD!  I'm 46 and have a dual diagnosis of alcoholism/anxiety.  I quit for 11 years back in 2002 and my anxiety was pretty good.  I started up again 3 years ago and I have the WORST anxiety ever!  I slept 1 hour last night and have to go to work.  I've recently been on this forum because I'm finding the two go hand in hand.  My goal is to "TRY" to quit again on Thursday when I have 4 days off work to get through the 3 day withdrawal period.  

Each time I give my body a week or two break from drinking my anxiety and panic attacks subside.

I tried smoking pot as a substitute but it also causes anxiety for me.  

Hereditary most definitely!!!!!  I get this from my dad's side of the family.  Lucky me!  Since it's my mom's side of the family that I talk to and have get togethers with and everyone drinks socially.  I'm the only one who started hours before the gathering.

I think for myself I feel guilt after drinking which brings on the attacks.  I also worry about not getting to work.  So many factors.  

But, I'm not on my way to work after 1 hour of sleep because I self inflicted panic attacks due to alcohol last night.

You're not alone!  I agree with Amba also!  Nice to know I'm not alone here.  I was on the alcohol forum on here but I'm finding the anxiety forum has been more helpful.  

If you're able to quit drinking now then do youself and your body a favor.  Good luck and keep in touch please! biggrin)))

• Posted

Thank you for your input it's good to hear I'm not the only one that gets them from drinking alcohol. What's weird is this is day 9 post panic attack and I still have this feeling of anxiety, not feeling myself, dizzy, and yester day (day 8 post attack) I had a mini panic attack when I realized I was going to be alone for the night because my girlfriend couldn't make it over. I never use to not care about being alone kinda liked my alone time really.

But, I really like your advice on drinking, I'm positive that's the best thing I could do for my self. The reason I think it's most definitely the alcohol is because I've had minor panic attacks from trying a vapor nicotine pen once, and another time from getting a prescription to adderal, so I knew right away that I was feeling like that from those two substances and quit them about a year ago. But they were no where compared to this alcohol panic attack, this alcohol panic attack was like kiss your butt good bye, life is horrible , I want this to go away lingering panic attack

• Posted

I haven't tied one on in years, but I don't remember having a hangover that included a panic attack. Just a random shot in the dark here, but could it be a mixture of dehydration, and hereditary factors? You weren't drinking anything mixed, just beer, but beer can dehydrate you, and will do it even faster if it's warm out. You may have woken up with dehydration symptoms, and that spun you into a panic attack. Check out the symptoms of dehydration, and see if you had any of them, and if there's certain ones that triggered your panic.

• Posted

From what Ive learned alcohol drains water from every where in your body...so definitely dehydration is playing a factor. I hear alcohol by itself doesn't cause the panic attack but if you have underlying anxiety that alcohol could be that trigger that sends you over...but that's just what I've read. Thanks for your input.

• Posted

You've done your homework. I agree with your post 100%. I also think if you have underlying anxiety that alcohol could sendo one over the edge. Wait! I don't think this. I know this!!!! I live it! Also, I drink water all day and when I drink beer I always drink water with it. I do believe dehydration plays a huge role but I also know im not dehydrated. Many blessings!

• Posted

I have noticed that as I get older, alcohol and weed bring on panic attacks. It never happened before but now, I rarely drink or smoke because I know I will freak out! I would definitely stay away from alcohol or just know that when you drink you will have a panic attack. My mom is the same way so I think it could somewhat be hereditary.
    • Posted

Thank you for the input, yes my mother has panic attacks as well. I believe that's where I get this gift from. She also gets them from substances, like weed mostly , she doesn't drink much alcohol. So I believe I'm like her, I get attacks from substances. It's just odd I never got them from alcohol until now. I've been drinking since 23 almost 29 now and I just started getting them 3 weeks ago.

• Posted

I used to prefer weed over drinking. Then one day I freaked out after smoking. I thought maybe it was a one time thing so I tried again and freaked out again. It's hard to explain but it does happen. It's weird isn't it? I finally quit because I would always think I was going to have to go to the hospital. When I drink I am not myself for like three days. Anxiety is horrible. All we can do is manage it... Right? smile

• Posted

So glad I'm not alone. Weed and alcohol never caused panic attacks til I hit my 40'son. I smoked pot almost all my life and it always calmed me. So did alcohol. Then I started getting major anxiety from drinking so I replaced it with weed. My heart was racing. My anxiety was sky high. So I went back to drinking. Both totally s*ck. Anyway, I know I need to quit drinking. Less anxiety. I'm getting too old for this crap.

• Posted

It was, like 40 was the magic number. That's when it started to cause anxiety. It used to be calming for me as well.

• Posted

I still gave anxiety. Stress seems to be the trigger. I don't smoke or drink anymore. I have kids so I didn't want to freak out around them. My health anxiety is bad. I don't want them to learn it from me.

• Posted

I totally understand what you're saying. Iso your anxiety somewhat better? If so, how?

• Posted

I am prescribed xanax which helps but I don't take it everyday. I basically tell myself that every time I go to the doctor it's not serious so chill out! Sometimes I have to tell myself to stop our loud but when I get into my own head it's hard. I am afraid to die and leave my kids. I am a single mom. When I am stressed I constantly think about how I don't want to leave my kids. It's still hard but not nearly as bad without the alcohol and weed.

• Posted

I'm glad the Xanax helps you to some point.  I have prescriptions for both clonazapam and xanax and neither helps.  

For everyone - I can only say if we know things that trigger it we need to stay away from them.  For me it's alcohol.  I keep counting down the days til I "try" to quit again.  Today is the last day for alcohol.  Then I have 4 days off work so I can withdrawal.  I usually don't withdrawal too bad but I get really tired, headaches, the basics.  

I will continue to post as to how things are going and check in on everyone.  I am blessed to have the anxiety forum to turn to smile 

• Posted

I have the same problem but with food. I eat until I am in pain and I always say I am going to quit but I can't! When I lose weight the pain goes away but I still freak out when I feel the pain yet I still eat too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.