alcohol issue

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

My husband drinks on an average more than 10-12 units every weekend(single day) in a party and in addition sometime 2-3 units in a weekday as well. And around 20 units once a year in one day as well. I always try to stop drinking too much but he always tell me about the guidelines, that 21 units in a week is allowed. I was reading the leaflet in patient.co.uk that in a single day a person should not drink more than 4 units. Can anyone please explain the correct way of having alcohol so that i can explain to him. I am really worried.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You are correct that he is not sticking exactly to the recommended limits but if he is drinking the amounts you say, he is not at serious risk of harm from drinking. I would just advise him that after a heavy session, he should give his body a 48 hour break from alcohol.

You don't need to worry about him. Obviously he would be more at risk if the amount he was drinking increased a lot but you can relax for now smile

• Posted

Thanks Paul for replying. But is it ok to have 10-11 units alcohol in a day?? Yesterday he had 11 units and again tonight we are going for a party and he will have same units.
    • Posted

It is not advisable, Parul, and he should attempt to cut down.

The best way to see if he is heading for trouble is to ask him to prove to you that he can go without a drink for a few days. If alcohol really is that essential to him, he could be heading for trouble.

• Posted

There's a really great Horizon episode on bbc iplayer on drinking, it's called "is binge drinking really that bad?" - really worth a watch, suggests that the current guidelines could be adapted a little
    • Posted

Thanks Anya, I will have a look for that and watch it smile

I have never believed that there is a magic figure that can given which is exactly right for everybody. People vary too much.

• Posted

Thanks Paul .. II think he is in headings towards problem... Will try to sort this out for sure..
    • Posted

Thanks anya... Will surely look at it... I hope this will help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.