alcohol issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Over the past 10 years, Im 42 now, my behaviour when I drink has become very worrying and has now caused me to become far too opinionated and verbally aggressive to people which has recently resulted in me falling out with my two best friends. I've been hypnotised to curb excessive drinking which I though had helped but after last weekend Ive realised its not and that I seriously need to give up drinking or lose all my friends. I seem to turn into someone who Im not in normal everyday life.

Has anyone else has this problem and dealt with it successfully? Don't want to give up totally but if this is the only way then I will ...

Feel totally embarrassed and don't quite know what to do

x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi h999

do you have this agressiveness when sober or are you normaly a placid person,

because they do say, you should never drink with bad feelings inside you, as the alcohol brings it out

try going out happy and at peace with yourself .I was one of the lucky ones when i drank all i wanted to do

was drink some more and go home to bed, try not drinking as much and see how that goes, i do know a

few people like yourself and they hate themselves in the morning, most of there friends try to avoid drinking

with them, i donk know what els to say as i think you know the answer

• Posted

I found that whiskey or hard liquor made me aggressive and confrontational, but beer did not. I quit drinking "hard stuff" years ago. And then again, maybe it"s natures way of telling you somthing's wrong.
  • Posted

Thank you both so much for your replies. Im normally a very placid, jovial sort of person in sober life, I'd never hurt anyone. I've always had lots of friends and have a lovely family. I've been on anti depressants on and off for the past 20 years for low self esteem and anxiety, but always put on a brave front to the world.

Like boho sista said, maybe its natures way of telling me something!! I think I know now that my low feelings and medication is never going to mix with alcohol so its time to stop drinking. I'm going to concentrate on trying to sort the inner me out , and while that happens, no booze will pass my lips.

Thanks again for your replies, it means a lot. x

• Posted

well said h999 i to had low self esteem i to am on anti depressants, i admire your determination with this

but PLEASE one step at a time by reading your post i know you can do it, i wish you all the luck in the world

hope to hear from you soon with some good news stay lucky!!

• Posted

Just wanted to say that for me, not once did I benefit from alcohol use. It was expensive, clouded my thinking, isolated me, and when I decided beer was less an issue,gained 20 lbs.! So to anyone who is going through the struggle,try to go all the way.Best wishes, there is a good life after alcohol!
  • Posted

Hello H999

I actually work at a rehab centre and I have heard this complaint many times. If are really interested in giving up alcohol or even just cutting down there are a few simple things that can help.

1) Talk to your friends about your decision. It is a good way to apologise for your actions and get them behind you. This serves two purposes. It gets you some support and helps stop temptation. If they know you are giving up alcohol they will not try to goad you into drinking.

2) find a place to talk to other people like you. Alcoholics anonymous has plenty of 12 step meetings that can be great. If that is not your cup of tea, try soberistas. It is an online forum where you can talk about your problem and you will have plenty of people cheering you on.

3) If you feel like you need some extra help try speaking to a counsellor. They provide great advice and you can go as much or as little as you like.

Just remember, trying to go it alone makes even cutting down harder. If you talk to those around you who care about you, they will become your cheering section and help you out. Plus cutting down will probably help you more than just socially. There are health risks associated with drinking as well.

• Posted

Hi,

My name is Callum, I’m 26 YO, and I have a similar problem when it comes to alc. when i drink, I’m fine, up until a certain point, once i reach that point, it becomes a Jeckle and hide situation. I would love to say that I’m not an alcoholic but if i feel overwhelmed, alc is my first protocol.

My personal feelings on this issue is that I don’t confront my emotions of anger (particularly) in my day to day living. I hold these feeling of frustration in though my “ordinary” life. That when I drink and that precautionary bar has been released, my arrogant, self-involved and judgemental **** of a self is allowed to roam free.

My opinion in my own situation is to tackle these issues of anger and frustration. Oh and also a t total state, but, for my own Jeckle and hide, I’m not sure which is the good one, Jeckle or hide, but I know day to day when I’m not drinking, I have more patients for people then anyone I know, I am a good person, alc allows my subconscious hatred to immerge.

I figure that getting rid of the alc and paying attention to my anger and irritation is whats best for my situation.

How do I get rid of the alc?    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.