Alcohol Misuse within the Deaf Community

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone here (or any of their friends) know British Sign Language?

As many of you know, I provide free alcohol counselling support for those using The Sinclair Method.

Alcohol misuse within the deaf community is quite high, and I'd like to have a chat on the phone with someone who might be able to give me an idea about how difficult it is to learn sign language.

My goal is trying to find out if it is feasible to be able to learn British sign language enough to provide video-based support for someone from the community within, say, a 12-24 month period?

If you are that person who might be able to help, or know someone who would be willing to have a short phone chat with me, please message me.

Thanks a ton!

Joanna

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Joanna. My name is Naomi. I've always felt a desire to learn BSL. I tried but find it hard alone. My mum was deaf, and I've begun to realise what a problem it is first hand. I think my whole family will wind up with some degree of deafness. I have also had problems with alcohol in the past which in itself is isolating so I was interested in your post. I also have good background in counselling.

I don't know where you live but I looked on line for courses and many of them are free. Theres also one on groupon at the moment. I find it much more beneficial to work in a live group. I live in Christchurch Dorset. This site is hard to write with or I'd say more.

Here's my email address to make contact directly

Best Wishes, and thank you for posting this. I hope you find what you need. Please keep in touch with progress if you'd like to.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Smartie,

I am in Lincolnshire, so quite a way away from you, sadly. You can PM me your email address using the 'Message' tab and I will then email you back.

I noticed there are a number of free courses, but they seem mostly introductory - which is great because we all have to start somewhere. I've also been in touch with a couple of the UK organisations for their input, but with it being Christmas and all, I wouldn't expect them to respond to a non-urgent query over the holidays.

I think I would also learn better in a group setting, and then practise at home. I always used to learn that way better at school (mind you, I'm 49 now and school seems a lifetime ago!!).

Message me your email and I will let you know how I get on.

Joanna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.