Alcohol Neuropathy Question

Posted , 8 users are following.

Wanting to see if anyone has experienced what I am.  After increased binge drinking I started to feel tingling and numbness in my feet. This has spread up my legs and now my groin...basically it's that numb feeling of sitting in a bike seat except it doesn't go away. My bowels and sexual function are affected. Went for an initial visit to the doc and got blood drawn, all is normal: liver, kidneys, vitamin B, all markers are good.  Next step is neuro tests to see if this is peripheral or central.  My question is whether anyone has had similar and did it resolve with abstinence from drinking?

I'm a 46 year old male in good shape and health, until now.  Always been a moderate to heavy drinker socially, this escalated when I got divorced three years ago.  Went to heavy and binging with companions and alone. Never had any real negative effect; promoted several times at work, health always fine, no dui, just drank because it eased the boredom when I was alone.  Never felt addicted, when these symptoms increased I just stopped drinking with no problem. I'm scared that I crossed the line and permanently damaged myself. Any advice or experiences shared are greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is likely to be peripheral neuropathy caused by a deficiency of Thiamine (Vitamin B1). This happens due to excessive alcohol consumption.

It can't do any harm to buy some Thiamine tablets (100mg) and take one twice a day for two or three months. You may very well notice some gradual improvement within a few days. The other issue is that a long term deficiency of Thiamine can cause alcohol-related dementia so you need to fix it.

It is possible that your Dr has already prescribed you some Thiamine so, if that is the case, that's good.

• Posted

I agree with what Paul has said. Although I'm a little sceptical about all your tests being fine. Were you given your GGT level and did you stop drinking for a period prior to your blood test?

Did you get a copy of your tests results?

• Posted

The doc's office called and went over what was drawn and the results. All were within normal limits, including LFTs and folate and B vitamins. Since there's nothing remarkable I'm going back in to discuss options and a neuro consult. Will get a copy then.  I had been drinking wine the night before, and the next day both called for and got an appt. 

• Posted

I don't think anyone can answer your question except your Dr sad.

If you didn't drink that much it may not even be related to drinking?

I have had the tingling off and on throughout my life....but it never stayed...WELL...not TRUE....it did stay one time and it was a toxic reaction to medication I was taking.

Are you on any medication that requires liver checks?

• Posted

Thanks. I use Humira for psoriasis which also has neuro issues and liver is a concern. I'm stopping that. 

• Posted

i'd be curious to know if neuro finds anything.

Does your Dr. that prescribes Humira do liver function tests?

Anyway, if not...I would be asking for one...not saying THAT is the cause..but you never know...until you know it is not the cause.

• Posted

hI Carl. I cannot give better advice than Paul!! Good luck! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.