Alcohol & Osteoporosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I originally posted this in the Alcohol Consumption group, but this is probably a better forum for this question:

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis at 27 years old. My numbers were actually in the mild osteopenia range, but I have stress fractures so the endocrinologist said that it's clinically considered osteoporosis. 

The doctor told me to limit myself to 1 alcoholic drink a day, which is fine. However, I have friends coming over next weekend to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. I don't need to drink more than one drink, but I would prefer to have 2 or maybe 3. If I don't drink at all that week, would it be OK for me to have a little more on that one day? After all, 3 drinks isn't considered a binge. But I don't want to do anything that'll hurt my body. Just thought I'd ask!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would not worry. Consistent drinking would be a problem but not one day of celebration.
  • Posted

I'm sure one day will not make a difference, in fact, alcohol, unless it is a problem for you, was unlikely the main contributing factor in early onset osteoporosis.  Do you know why you have osteoporosis?(illness, medication, genetics, malnutrition)  Taking care of that is probably a bigger concern than having 3 beers once a year.  That said, you should consult your doctor, you should have time to call before the holiday.

• Posted

Hi Hayley, I don't know yet why I have it. I'm waiting to hear back from my endocrinologist about some recent blood tests. It's been a long diagnosis process, though. I've had knee pain since last August, and because of several misdiagnoses I was sent to physical therapy, which made my entire body feel worse. Finally an orthopedist ordered an MRI, which revealed a stress fracture in my femoral condyle, but I hadn't fallen or suffered any injury. Because of this, he ordered a bone scan, and my hips lit up. An MRI of my pelvis revealed tension-side stress fractures on both of my femoral necks, which is apparantly unheard-of without some underlying disorder. Hence the bone density test and the visit to the endocrinologist. I'm otherwise almost perfectly healthy, and like I said before, my numbers are very mild even for osteopenia, so I don't have traditional osteoporosis. The doctor just said that my stress fractures make my condition clinically considered osteoporosis.

• Posted

I bet the mix you have with the alcohol is more damaging to your bones, (assuming you drink in moderation normally).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.