Alcohol recovery centre - group sessions

Posted , 6 users are following.

After months of being nagged, I had agreed to attend one group session - although if I'm honest, it is mainly the fascination of listening to how other people are dealing with their problems, I intend to be a passive particpant.

These are the options, has anyone ever done any of these and can offer any experience?

1)      MAP (mutual aid partnership) 2.5 hrs

2)      Mindfulness 1 hr

3)      Understanding substance misuse (only a few session) 2 hr

4)      ESH (experience, strength and hope), this is run by the “ESH Works” charity organisation 2 hr

I am of course going to Google them, but there is nothing like hearing the experiences of others.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am supposed to have some sort of therapy to go alongside Nalmefene but havnt got an appointment yet so I don't know what kind I will be offered
  • Posted

Hello RHGB,

I'm sorry that I don't know anything about those options.  I just wanted to wish you well at your 'big' hospital appointment.

Take care,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

No experience either, I am afraid.  Sorry!

But I can sort of imagine how the MAP and ESH ones might work based the fact that most of these organisations that receive funding from goverment sources, do appear to work in the same way using peer support and helping people learn new techniques with regards to dealing with life without alcohol.

If this is the case, then I think you could probably educate them! biggrin

In addition, I think you thoroughly understand substance misuse.  If this is anything like the level 4 alcohol abuse counselling course I did, then a lot of it really was common sense.

So, that would leave the Mindfulness course.  If it were me, that is the one I think I would likely go for, since we have already established how much smoother recovery is on TSM when mindful techniques are used.  And those techniques are mostly about looking 'in' and identifying how you feel in response to drinking, or understanding how you might react in response to triggers etc.

• Posted

Yes to funding from government support, I looked that up after my post.

Yes to the peer support, that seems to feature prominently.

One of the external organisations head office (only office) is literally a couple of doors down from the alcohol recovery centre, wonder if there is a connection.

• Posted

Hi. I do have experience of mindfulness meditation and substance abuse therapy. The other 2 I've never heard of! I too have been told I must have counselling along side being prescribed naltrexone. First appt tomorrow, though I've been to see alcohol advisery in the past and they are very good. They have nothing to do with addaction, who I would never go to again ( there methods never change as they only recognise Antabuse. Enough said!). Anyway the therapist I see is someone who had a drink problem 25 years ago so he can empathise, which is good. I usually have a 30/45 mins session and I tell him my problems re alcohol and get advice( which I know anyway. As we do! But I suppose the positive is you get your frustrations out. They also offer acupuncture and hypnotherapy, which I find is good for me.

The group work I've done there is "smart recovery" which is a bit like AA but you're not labelled an alcoholic, like you don't have to say"my name is....and I'm an alcoholic(cringe) plus there no higher power or serenity prayer!!

Mindfulness meditation is amazing if you do it everyday..but RHGB, I just can't see you doing the spiritual stuff like that really!

Id say, if you have to, then go for some kind of group discussion. Though you seem to be doing well, but maybe you'd help others in the group with your knowledge, which always helps you and others in the group.

Good luck

• Posted

I am actually with your favourite people, Addaction.

But I have gone there of my own accord, and their director arranged the appointment for me, after I had spoken with him of my disapponment at another branch.

So I do not have to attend anything, if I do, it is of my own free will. I have also explained that I have a couple of month's supply of my own of the medication and can buy more if needed, so there will be no arm twisting about my prescription, because they know I will just walk.

The spiritual stuff is so not me, and the only meditation I ever did was when I had six pints inside me.

You're right, the group discussion is probably best suited to me and I would end up helping others. My only worry is they say, thst was really helpful, you must come back. And I would say, not as an unpaid therapist I won't, I did my bit, I attented a meeting and helped out.

I think that these places think that people sit at home everyday waiting to attend their appoitments and don't actually believe you have other things to do. Maybe most don't work and can come in any day of the week, I don't know.

• Posted

*meant there is no higher power stuff or having to say the serenity prayer 
    • Posted

Substance abuse mutual partnership yes, I went once with smart recovery. Waste of time.

Ive just ttexted my daughter who's got a degree in mental health, and manager of a care home for people with drug/alcohol issues. Her reply was not repeatable. They're just different therapy groups signposted from drug/alcohol services/agencies whose waiting lists are ridiculous. Maybe different in other areas. Run by unqualified staff in general. A dumping ground

• Posted

Sorry my last post was to RHGB, not you paper f.
    • Posted

But the doctor assures me they're very good, lol.

I shall go to the MAP (mutual aid partnership) one, as I did say I would attend one session. I wonder how many will be attending as a condition of receiving their 'script' as they call it.

• Posted

oops...no idea at all...cannot help but interesting route you are finding and best of luck!! Robin
    • Posted

We seem to be learning something new everyday at the moment. The forum is getting very interesting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.