Alcohol Recovery Centres

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

C3 Foundation Europe has now begun our difficult and frustrating task of offering our counselling services to the NHS.

We have experienced much success working with some open-minded, individual doctors, who are prescribing naltrexone or nalmefene whilst we are providing the aftercare support, but many doctors just will not stray from local NHS guidelines which tells them to refer potential patients onto locally commissioned Alcohol Recovery Centres (ARC).

We would like to tackle the 'warmer' leads first - that is those organisations that have prescribed naltrexone or nalmefene for use with The Sinclair Method.

So, if you have been prescribed either of these medications from your local ARC, please let me know which organisation it was (eg Addaction, CGL, Livewell, etc), and which town.

If you prefer to PM the information, then please do so.

This is going to be incredibly time-consuming and frustrating for us. The very first ARC I contacted yesterday replied to say thanks, but no thanks because they don't prescribe these medications..... and that is despite the fact that the local NHS has clearly stated to me that they have commissioned this particular organisation to do so! So, not only is it going to be about us talking to them and getting them on board, it's also going to be about having to educate them in some cases too!!

Thanks

Joanna

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You deserve a medal! As usual. A struggle for your charity to educate professionals who should know better. All the best for 2019 to you. Ciao Robin.

• Posted

You deserve a medal! As usual. A struggle for your charity to educate professionals who should know better. All the best for 2019 to you. Ciao Robin.

• Posted

I Totally agree with Robin's comments. Yes joanna, you deserve a medal.

It must be very frustrating when youve put so much time and effort in, to then hit a brick wall trying to get through to ARCs.

The one i went to, the key worker i saw had never even heard of campral, let alone naltrexone or nalmefene. I'm sure she saw me as some weirdo when i said about TSM. She actually laughed and said i must be confused as no-one in the medical profession would prescribe a tablet which encourages you to drink.

At my next and last appointment she said shed mentioned it to a senior colleague who vaguely remembered reading about some american mumbo jumbo!!

Good luck joanna, you'll be sprouting wings in a white dress with a halo on your head next!

Seriously, you do a fantastic job, and just think how many people you've helped over the years

• Posted

The things we here, eh? There's no way this level of incompetence would exist in something like cancer treatment.....

Think we ALL deserve medals 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.