Alcohol ruining my life depressed and anxious

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm a 38 year old man who has serious alcohol problem.I have lost almost everything through alcohol, money, jobs health and most recently my new girlfriend. I just want to stop for good but need support. I have tried AA but ended back on the drink. I know my time is running out and I need to stop now. I'm afraid of the future no one i know does not drink. I scared of getting through today without alcohol. 

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How much are you drinking a day David?

What do you drink?

Do you drink all day or only in the evenings?

How long have you been drinking to excess?

If you have physical withdrawal symptoms when you try to stop drinking, you must NOT try and stop without medical help in the form of an alcohol detox. Withdrawal symptoms can be dangerous.

• Posted

3/4 bottles of wine a day I tend to binge last binge started Tuesday and I had my last dring last night. I feel ok just depressed and fearful of how I am going to cope in the future. I've bn thru this before so I know I can do it. I feel a lot of shame and things I said whilst drunk which has ruined a new relationship. 
  • Posted

Hi david, i tried aa 12 years ago and it heped me stop for 6 months and then i started back , i lost my girlfriend and son 19 years ago over the bloody bottle its wicked as you know, you should see your doctor for meds other wisw it can be dangerous, i couldnt wait that long as i knew i was killing myself, drinking 1st thing in the morning for months but stilll holding down a now failing bussiness, im 7 days in now and hope this bit helps, 1st day really bad, 2nd and 3rd just bad, day 4 shaking and nerves calming down ,  sleep getting slightly better, now the hard bit , cravings awfull only just managed to stop myself drinking this morning, this will NEVER leave me , try your docs ofr meds and you will probbably not feel as bad as i did but i do belive its DOABLE  , im trying to stay sober for today , good luck
    • Posted

Thanks I will try doctors I've go through this every few weeks so I know I can stop it's just staying stopped. I do need support from others yours is gratefully accepted. Thanks
  • Posted

hi david   you ve done the best thing by telling someone  / people via this forum, it was a huge relief for me.   do you set yourself short goals ? after the first 3-5 days, although its physically a nightmare with regards shaking [ see Pauls advice], i have found that after what is now the 9th day free for me, i feel better. I had also been ashamed and in a vicious circle of feeling guilt but needing to clear a hangover with more drink until i felt so sick that i had to stop and then start again.

i think you have said 3 or 4 bottles wine, i think its ok to say on this forum how much you drink in case your worried, i know that when i was reaching 120 units per week it was becoming far too tolerant and it was just a habit.  now i m starting to look back on things i did and think i m glad i don;t do that any more, it does take time    and to me a quck bottle of wine was normal buut not social, secret drinking but then i see people being served a small sherry and think, that's supposed to be normal, i would have necked a bottle to get that massive buzz. I knew the reasons why; childhood, abuse, low self esteem but after 20 years its time to fight my demons, pack them away in a suitcase was the best advice i ever got, but i know its not easy.   I m due to start support with an alcohol worker for the 4th time [ as in 3 times with 6 months support didn't really work, i  m now determined that this will[.   the main thing is being able to talk about it openly and for people not to judge you.   I used to shock people by drinking whole glasses of wine in one go and they saw me in a negative way, suppose i m now starting to see things from their eyes.  I tell myself now that i CANT drink because  i m an alcoholic, so its vital to follow Pauls advice about DT, I would also say its about being determined in the mind and saying no

Giving your thoughts on this forum is also really helpful

• Posted

These supplements tend to help with alcoholics:

- glutamine

- krill oil

- sesamine oil

- inositol

- multivitamin

- protein

Also, get some medical help and work out your daily schedule such that you are busy all day being in service of others. Look for a job where your presence is needed for others.

• Posted

Sound tricky David. What would help you stop driking? I just celebrated 2 yrs withouth drinking and ready to give advice if you feel like it.
  • Posted

Hi David have you heard of Kudzu buy some from amazon and i'm telling you it works wonders for cravings all natural remedy give it a try, all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.