Alcohol the following day?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, not sure how many people follow this discussion but il put this out there anyway in case someone knows the answer. I take zopiclone as and when I need it - it usually ends up being once or twice a week (for about 6 weeks now.) A week ago I was going to a wedding, wanted to be well rested for it so I took 1 7.5 mg at around midnight and woke up at 7ish ready for the day. The ceremony was in the afternoon so I didn't start drinking until around 3pm (15 hrs after taking) however as soon as I had had a few mouth fulls of wine I came over a bit strange. Dizzy and felt like I'd drank more than a few sips. Started to feel a bit panicky and left my friends to go for a walk in the grounds. (I suffer from anxiety anyway so this isn't that unusual.) Whilst out there I felt unstable on my feet and had a fall, grazing my knees and spilling wine on my lovely new dress! I didn't trip... I don't really know what happened but my boyfriend saw me and says I just fell over nothing!! I had only had a few sips at this point so I couldn't blame it on the drink alone! During the wedding breakfast a few hours later I thought I was going to fall asleep in my food. But thinking it was just me being a massive weirdo and not at all putting the two together I continued to drink. I got very drunk much quicker than usual and was a general mild embarrassment to myself but fortunately no other injuries or major incidents! Anyway I know they say don't drink while taking zopiclone but I always assumed it meant that night! As in don't take it with alcohol or take it when you get in from a night out. But now I'm thinking was 15 hours enough time to leave AFTER taking?!!! It might just have been a bad day for me but I'm not normally that clumsy that I go falling about all over the place after a few sips of wine. Any comments or experiences would be welcome! I might just be looking for an excuse for being such an embarrassment but either way I think I will avoid taking the night before an event like that again

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have been taking Zopiclone for years until my GP decided that I don't need them!  Never had any problem such as the one described.
  • Posted

Hi.  I've had some very weird and unique effects of zolpiclone when i took it for a year and a half.  I combined it with another sleeping medication, zolpidem which i had taken for many years and never had those effects with just the zolpidem. After adding zopiclone, the very odd symptoms began, but they were only maybe once every couple of weeks, so i didn't suspect the zopiclone which i took every night. The weird effects lasted throughout the time i took zopiclone, worsening over time and becoming as frequent as once a week, but still thank goodness not every day. When i stopped taking it, i have never had that effect again, even though i've continued the zolpidem.  

I don't drink at all, haven't had alcohol in many years, early 1980s i think. I do believe it's reasonable for you to consider the effects of zopiclone if you've never had that effect before, but you can't be sure.  You could try drinking the same amount at the same time of day after taking zopiclone the nght before, doing this at home and with someone else there with you, and see if it happens again.  Since you say you got very drunk, i'm thinking your judgement might be impaired so you would want to have someone with you who would not let you drive or walk outside.  If it happens again,  you could also try the same thing without taking any zopiclone and see if things are more like normal, if you did get the weird effect again. 

The effects i got when i was taking were only on waking and wore off quickly, in less than a half hour, at least those that i remember. It was like being in a dream but up walking around, letting my dog out, going pee, doing normal things i would do in the morning, but feeling extremely weird and not being aware that something was abnormal, where the weirdness was the only world i knew--that's the way in which it was like a dream. When i came out of it, i could remember it, and would think how weird it was.  I have read that drinking alcohol and other things can increase the chance of such effects and to avoid combining the two. Like you, i would think this would mean not taking them at the same time.

One thing to consider is how long it takes the body to eliminate all the zopiclone from your system.  Elimination is referred to in terms of elimination half life, which means that half of the dose you took will be eliminated in a certain amount of time, and is called the half life.  The elimination half life of zopiclone is about 6 hours (for the average person, under average conditions). So, if you took 7.5mg at midnight, then at 6am, you would still have half of that circulating in your bloodstream, or 3.75mg.  At noon, you would have half of that whicih would be about 1.8mg.  At 6pm, you would have half of that, which is about 1mg, so the warnings about combining it with alcohol could apply under those circumstances, depending on unpredictable things like individual sensitivities.  People with any sort of liver impairment have longer half life times, and the combination of the two can under some conditions for some people increase the chance of odd effects.  

Here is an excerpt from a website about pharmaceuticals called medicines.org.uk, under the part about 7.5mg zopiclone.  This part was intereting to me because of the kind of symptoms i had.

"Sleep walking and other associated behaviours such as “sleep driving”, preparing and eating food, or making phone calls, with amnesia for the event, have been reported in patients who have taken zopiclone and were not fully awake. The use of alcohol and other CNS-depressants with zopiclone appears to increase the risk of such behaviours, as does the use of zopiclone at doses exceeding the maximum recommended dose. Discontinuation of zopilcone should be strongly considered for patients who report such behaviours."

I'm happy for you that you only take zopiclone a couple of times a week, that isn't very much.

• Posted

I'm not surprsed at how you were affected if you were taking Zopiclone and Zimovane at the same time.  What on earth made you decide to do that? 
  • Posted

Thanks both for taking the time to respond! Looks like it might just be me being clumsy but il avoid in future anyway just in case I think. I'm sure it didn't help! Stupidly I've been reading up on a lot of these side effects and problems and I've scared myself - I don't sleep well most nights but I try to only take zopiclone if Ive had a particularly bad night the night before and I need to reset. I'm scared to take it everyday but that's probably a good thing all in all. Thanks again!
  • Posted

I have never become drowsy to that extent but I would become drowsy if I drank. I am not sure what the half life of zoplicone is( how long it stays in your body) but in my experience I could have that groggy hung over feeling until up to around 4 in the afternoon. Remember that everyone metabolizes drugs differently. Make things easier for yourself and only drink club soda with lemon or lime if you have taken zoplicone the previous night!
    • Posted

I'd read that the half life is 6 hours but being not at scientifically or medically minded I thought that meant it's half gone in 6 hours and fully gone in 12! I've since learned this is not the case and it probably was still in my system although in a very small quantity! Il be more careful next time x
  • Posted

Hi melmo.     Strange thing is with me.   I drink on zopiclone.   I have drink problem anyway.  But they strangely calm me down.   If I'm anxious.  I drop a pill and feel better.   I know it's dangerous and strongly not recommended.  It's when I drink without them I'm a knob and do stupid things.  So I really believe everyone's experience on these horrible drugs is so different   So I wish I could advise but got different experience.    FYI.   Been on the things on and off for 7 years.   They drive me crazy.      With addiction issues anyway I'm now buying on line.   Coz doc monitoring me.   I can do 4 pills in one night and still be fine next day.   Scary.      Wish you luck xxx 
  • Posted

Did u see my reply.    iPad gone wonkey 
    • Posted

Hi Kerry, I can see it! Thanks for responding. Seeing everyone's posts on here has scared the crap out of me and I'm probably being a bit paranoid and over cautious - but I think that's a good thing overall! I appreciate the warnings.... I feel awful for everyone that has had such major problems with this stuff. I've almost been in tears reading some of the stories - it seems to be as addictive as street drugs. So many people needing them everyday just to function, not to sleep! I completely understand that pre 3 or 4 years ago doctors were giving them out like sweets and not monitoring and now people have got themselves into a mess and getting no help to get out. It's a horrible situation. Luckily for me docs are more sensible with it nowadays. I've only been given 14 and been told I won't get anymore anytime soon so it's a good motivation to use them spareingly (as they do genuinely help me!) I wish you luck - I hope you can eventually get the help you need to get off both the drink and the pills
  • Posted

I don't understand this as I have gone out for supper and had a drink and when i came home took my zoplicone and felt no different than before.  |

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.