Alcohol tolerance and Sertraline 100mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have had a real bad experience after drinking quite heavily last Saturday on a night out with colleagues. I was fine then all of a sudden I lost complete control of my legs and was just like a rag doll. My friends looked after me but how embarrassing both for me and them! I can remember everything that happened but was unable to stand up. A little later I was fine and able to walk home. Just wonder if anyone else had experienced this ? 😁😞

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not had this experience but to be perfectly honest Sertraline + alcohol don't mix!
  • Posted

There is a warning in respect of mixing sertraline with alcohol. My advice s don't drink if you want to get better
  • Posted

Never a good mix PollyPocket, in fact a dangerous one.  I would be too afraid to try it.  

Be Safe!

Dawn, USA

• Posted

Hi PollyPokett, I have had a couple of drinks while on Sertraline and have been fine, but it depends on how much you had ??  I asked the pharmacist about this and he said it was fine to have a few drinks as long as you dont get "smashed". I also have spoken to others on this drug and they say the same. Alcohol is naturally a depressant and so can counteract tge effects of the drug, it can also enhance the effect of the alcohol, but as I am a light weight anyway I doubt this would be any different for me!
  • Posted

My GP said that sertraline enhances the effects of sertraline, so taking one alcoholic drink will feel like two.  To be honest I don't drink very much alcohol as I have a low tolerance to it anyway, but over Christmas I had a few and was very drunk with very little alcohol - I didn't lose control, but I felt tiddly after just one drinK!!! I have pretty much avoided alcohol since apart from the odd small glass of wine here or there, I just seem to end up falling asleep.  The guidance / information leaflet does say avoid alcohol, so probably a good idea.

• Posted

I've always drank alcohol, not heavily, but every evening and to help to relax and take the edge off my anxiety and OCD which, until now, I've never had any medication for. My Doc said alcohol is fine to take with sertraline but to be aware that it may increase the effect. In my case it has no effect at all.........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.