Alcohol triggers fast heart rate and palpitations

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

i wonder if anyone else suffers fast heart rate after drinking alcohol? The strange thing is, the fast heart rate usually commences at 2am in the morning, making it very scary. It first started last November one night after having a few drinks, I woke up to a heart rate of 200bpm which lasted till about 6am. I also felt very light headed and stiff in my jaw. Unfortunately I didn't go to A/E where they cud have recorded the heart rhythm then.

my Gp and I thought it cud have been a side effect to the Amlodipine which I had started about 4weeks previous so he stopped it. However, the palpitations continued ( though not as bad) but only after alcohol and always 4-5 hours after my last drink ( and only a couple).

i was in hospital for a night a few days ago with the same symptoms, however when the ambulance arrived and I got to A/E my heart rate had slowed and my ECG was normal. All blood tests were normal. My GP has now referred me to a cardiologist whom I see on 23rd April. Now, I'm still feeling a little light headed and a bit " butterflies in the stomach" feeling. I am hypertensive on Ramipril which I have been for years and currently taking Lansoprozole for duodenal polyps.

Anyone else have these symptoms? My Gp seems to think it may be af or SVT. 

I'm scared!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes! After a few drinks I've noticed the same thing happens to me too. Very scary. I met with the cardiologist a couple weeks ago and now I have a stress test and echo on the 6th of April. Hoping to find out some answers after that.
    • Posted

I'm glad I've met someone else it happens to, although I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Hope you find out something soon.

what's your story?

• Posted

Hi Jilly

Glad u brought this up but I've to disagree I was at my Gp thus eve as for past month straight of been woken by fast heartbeat n feeling very hot.. I've only had 8 nite sleep out of full month n it makes no difference if I've drank alcohol or not I'm waiting to see an electro physiologist in June its scarey wen happens I no exact wat ur experiencing I jus don't no anymore..

• Posted

Thank God it doesn't happen to me when I have a few as a matter of fact sometimes I drink bitters while I'm having an attack it help release the gas and slowes the heart rate ,every body is different sometimes alcohol  effect as a stimulant

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.