Alcohol use for anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

i suffer from anxiety and have 'butterflies' 24/7 for long periods of time. More than often they will disappear and I feel normal again for a couple of months till next episode. Over the years I've used alcohol to help get rid of these butterflies. Now even that doesn't work. Take trazodone and NITRAZAPAM. Does anyone else use alcohol to function?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm a recovering alcoholic, i used it for years to function.  Til it stopped working.  Sober 7 months
    • Posted

I can go months with just a couple of drinks socially each week, some weeks no alcohol than suddenly I will have 2/3 days binge drinking when anxiety is bad. You've done really well, what made you stop if you don't mind my asking?
    • Posted

I quit because i was drinking all day every day, and it took its toll on my mental health.  I couldnt bare being drunk or sober, so i quit for good, with AA's help.  And thank you.  I still have issues with prescription medication, but i have come off a lot of medication also.  I'm in therapy, hypnotherapy and cbt
    • Posted

It does affect my mental state. I've been referred for cbt and also acupuncture. Acupuncture worked years ago so am hoping this time will be the same.
  • Posted

hi vicki, the problem with using alcohol for anxiety is that your use is likely to beccome more frequent- you could end up where you will need alcohol everyday to function- i am a recovering alcoholic- i gave up drinking in 2005- i used to need a couple of large whiskeys every morning to function i ended up drinking a couple of bottles of it a day for twenty years i was a functioning alcoholic - dont go down this route- if you need medication to treat your anxiety that is fine plenty of people do- but do not self medicate - especially with alcohol- not if you value your health- your sanity and all that is important in your life- reach out for help if you feel you cannot quit binge drinking- only you know if you are addicted to alcohol- either way you need to quit that pattern of drinking it is potentially very dangerous- good luck in whatever way you decide to tackle this problem- reach out for support - there are plenty of people who have/ had problems with alcohol- stay strong- 
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. It's good to know I'm not alone
  • Posted

im a recoverered alcholic  and thats what i use to do but then when you need alcohol to function youve a mager problem.Go talk to your doctor he might be able to help with some diazepam . Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.