Alcohol Withdrawal - Chronic Insomnia

Posted , 8 users are following.

I normally have a 4/5 day drinking binge every 5/6 weeks and am used to the symptoms and feelings of alcohol withdrawal. I have researched this considerably and understand the science behind this (ie glutamate rebounds) well. Insomnia is normal but manageable and sleep normally improves after a few days.

After a 7 day drinking binge, I tapered off for a few days, during which I was sleeping maybe 3/4 hours a night. I stopped completely on the 6th then the following day at about midday, I was felt a strange sensation. Tingling on my skin, sweaty palms, a sense of euphoria and energy, whilst also having very tired eyes. Slightly unbalanced as well. This lasted all day and last night I notice a real mental fog, but couldn't sleep right away. I have a sleep tracker which tells me that I managed a few hours, but very little deep sleep. So, that's the 5th night of very poor sleep.

I am receiving medical advice and counselling but unable to access due to the current lock-down, so would really appreciate any advice people might have.

What I'm wondering is:

1. Is this possibly some additional symptoms of withdrawal I haven't experienced before? or
  2. Signs of chronic insomnia? Is that dangerous?

I'm really not tempted to drink but worried I might do if it might help me sleep! Thanks in advance.

R

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

Hey Romesh, The tingling and the sweats could be a sign of inflammation of the Liver, It could go away if you could give it a break for a while, a chance to recover. Or a slimmer chance, it could be Alcoholic Neuropathy (nerve damage). Either way would benefit from some kind of detox once you get the chance to see your Keyworker. As for your Insomnia, unfortunately that is common, especially as your kinda used to having a "Relaxer", it give your body time to bubble up all sorts anxieties, you could try another way to wind down and if you can't sleep, it's best to get up and do an activity until you do feel tired. Insomnia in itself is not dangerous, but total sleep deprivation for more than three Days and you'll notice things might start appearing a bit odd. I hope you feel better. AL

• Edited

Hi AL, thanks so much for the prompt reply, the useful information and the kind words. My tendency is to go up to 6-8 weeks having very little alcohol indeed (maybe 2-3 a week and sometimes go 3 weeks without anything),then have a binge, followed by a withdrawal, so thought I'd knew all the symptoms. This was the longest binge and I do know the symptoms worsen each time, so maybe you're right, could be the liver.

What really through me is when the vertigo, tingling started, I actually felt energetic and euphoric! In fact, I'd say I felt high!! I don't do any drugs nor am on any medicine! It lasted all day yesterday and in the evening I had such brain fog, I couldn't even remember my own email address!

As long as the insomnia/lack of sleep isn't dangerous, I think I can focus on the withdrawal and get through that.

Thanks again!

R

• Edited

My Pleasure R, I do remember the first normal "High" that I got without drink or Drugs in my system, but it was a number of Months of being dry before I got that and it took me by surprise. It could be for the similar reason though and it's your body "Re-Wiring". When we drink the Alcohol causes the Dopamine levels in the Brain to be released at a much greater level, as you are getting so much of the happy Hormone that the Brain compensates by reducing the number of Dopamine Receptors in action (Because all the others are so flooded). Over Time the number of Receptors and the natural level of Dopamine is reduced, our tolerance goes up, we drink more. Eventually only Drink/Medication bring back any of the comfort of normality. Drink trumps everything. It takes a while before you feel the reward system in the Brain back as it should. Life becomes more pleasurable. I'm sure you will manage yourself and know what's right for your level of intake. Keep an eye on your sleep, you don't want to end up napping whilst in the middle of a Task. 😉

BW AL

• Edited

i drank like this for years. The 7 day binge would be about 16 bottles of whisky.

please stop doing this too your body and mind. having been sober now for a year looking back at the place that a 7day binge leaves me in makes me feel physically sick.

get help and go to aa

• Edited

Hi all, just a quick update for everyone. I've managed to speak to a doctor and he's diagnosis was in fact 'sleep deprivation euphoria' - basically a surge of dopamine in response to an acute lack of sleep. This can happen with just one bad night so isn't an indication of a chronic issue. I did think something was wrong when I was feeling on top of the world in the middle of alcohol withdrawal! I'm sure we all know, it's not a pleasant experience!! It was, of course, an indirect consequence of the withdrawal.

I haven't had a drink in a few days now and my sleep is improving; the euphoria/energy lasted a couple of days and has faded off now - feeling more level and balanced now.

I only realised I need help at the end of this last binge and through medical advice and counselling, I'm hoping to now get my dependency under control.

Thanks for the advice and support!

R

• Edited

Hi Romesh,

I'm curious to why you have the urge to binge every 4-5 weeks. Is there a particular event that comes round and triggers it? Or is it a sudden craving that happens after a certain length of near-abstinence.

I'm wondering if you are maybe tiring of the whole thing, but can't quite find the motivation to address it?

Maybe you could bring to mind this mantra when the cravings start:

1. Alcohol has nothing new to give me that I haven’t experienced 1000s of times already.
    2. If I have a drink now, I know exactly where it will all lead eventually.
    3. I am on an exciting journey of discovery about myself. No turning back now

I appreciate that you may not actually feel you are on a brand new journey of discovery about yourself - yet - but if you can focus on the sober version of you - the one who never drinks, but instead goes about their business, happy and content, then you might be able to turn some of the doubts you are feeling about alcohol into a really positive new desire - for sobriety. Control, inner contentment, and no more anxiety.

It only takes a moment of inspiration. Everything looks different after that!

• Edited

Hi Will,

Thank you for your email and sorry for the late reply. Going off topic here and without going into my full history, I'll try to answer your questions.

I used to be a regular drinker but made some changes as one of the issues I seemed to have is once I had one drink I felt a need to keep drinking until I went to sleep - I managed this by not starting until very late in the evening. I got into fitness and that encouraged me to have extended breaks from alcohol.

These days (about 4 years now), 99% of the time, I can have a few drinks in the evening out with friends maybe once or twice a week and most nights at home, I don't drink. A lot of the time, I'll go a week, two or three if there aren't any social events as I'm at the gym most days.

That 1% of the time though, a night out will be a bit heavier and I'll wake up feeling awful, but rather than just putting up with it, I feel an overwhelming compulsion to drink more and get some beer and drink at home. It used to happen once in a while and only be for the day, but recently they have gotten longer and more intense, followed by withdrawal.

So (after what was a longer history than I intended!), that first drink of a binge isn't as a result of any major craving, I wasn't upset (in fact often, I was happy), and it didn't always lead to the same conclusion, which is why I let myself go down that path!

I have been undergoing counselling and am also understanding the nature of my dependency much better and I'm starting The Sinclair Method next week, which I'm very excited about!

• Posted

Why are you replying to all old posts suddenly? Where were you six months ago?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.