Alcohol withdrawal symptoms after two months of heavy drinking

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all.

I have been suffering from quite serios depression for exactly two years.  This was triggered by an HIV scare.

Initially, I did not drink much and had no real issues with alcohol.

However, I started to drink heavily periodically a year ago.  However, I did not suffer any withdrawal symptoms.

But I began to drink heavily quite constantly two months ago.

In particular, I drank very heavily last week: starting on 23th July and ending on 30th July, I drank three 1.5 litre bottles of vodka.

I ended-up in hospital on the morning of 1 August.  Surprisingly, my blood alcohol level was "only" 175mg, compared to the drink-drive limit of 80mg.

I was released from hospital the same evening.  However, I seem to have had quite severe withdrawal symptoms since then.

Initially, I could not keep food down.   Then I had severe diarrhoea.  I have been having quite serious sweating and dizziness.

Is this common?  How long can I expect these symptoms to last?

I have been very worried that I have damaged my liver, though I had a liver function test a few weeks ago after I had started drinking heavily (though I was sober at the time) and it was within normal limits.

A GP and a nurse, both of whom I saw yesterday, said that my liver would not be permanently damagd by two months of heavy drinking.  Would you agree?

I know that I risk becoming dependant on alcohol, and I have sought help from the local Addictions Team, and am even considering seeking a residential treatment programme.

Thank you. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Why not try Wine, instead of strong staff.
    • Posted

Hi again Richard,

My recent heavy drinking started with boxes of wine guzzled very quickly.  (A box of wine at home used to last me a month and some of it was always used for cooking.)

It was really in the last few weeks that I started hitting the vodka, annd the week upto last weekend when I drank the three 1.5l bottles - that's something like 160 units in a week.

I have not drunk at all since and my appetite and digestive system seem to be back to normal.

However, I am still getting these sweats - worse when I eat hot food or hot tea.  If only they would disappear.  I am wondering if it is due to anti-depressants rather than withdrawal from the alcohol.

I am due to see a psychiatrist on Monday and then my regular GP next Wednesday.  I'm not due to see any Addictions' people until 27th August.

• Posted

What l have not noticed when l drink, the next day if l do not drink l feel very anxious, feel awful, guilty, feel so bad , my heart bits like l am having a heart attack, that is the effects of alcohol withdrawal, but gav44887 since u are talking about ,that is a positive step, am sure if u keep on site and tell the lovely people how u are doing , u will get support and know u are not alone, Since u own your Company do u drink at work, just asking cheers
  • Posted

Well, what a contrastb to last Sunday - most of which I spent in the local hospital's Casualty Department after drinking 1.5l of vodka on the Saturday.

With Sunday diunner, I had one very nice glass of Shiraz.  And that was it.

That's pretty-much the way it used to be, and my aim to return to being the norm.

• Posted

HI Gavin. You have certainly improved and drink a lot less than 3 bottles of 1.5L vodka.....not bad and Shiraz is a lot less strong..what happened the last 3 days?? Just wondering about your progress?? best of luck!!
    • Posted

Unwisely, I had a few glasses of wine.  No spirits.

Yesterday (Friday), my joints started to ache and I started to get bad indigestion.

Nevertheless, I walked 7 miles in 85 minutes.  I was soaked with sweat, but I managed it OK.

Today (Saturday) I have really felt unwell.  I have very achy joints, have felt a bit nauseaus and had one bad bout of diarrhoea.

I bought some high strength Vitamin B and other supplements.

I am really worried that I have seriously harmed my liver and / or other organs.

My drinking in the weeks upto the end of July really was horrendously excessive.  I was drinking something like two 2.25 litre boxes of red wine per week, then had the three 1.5 litre bottles of vodka in the last week in July.

So, I would estimate I was averaging something like 70 units per week in June and most of July, then double that in the last week in July.

When I had the liver function test done in mid-June, the result was on the higher side of normal (high 40s)..

But, when I had the bloods taken again on 4 August, the result was approx 100, so it had more than doubled in under two months.

I am scared stiff.

• Posted

HI gavin. Thks for the update. Was away and back but really curious to know how you are keeping. Even if you do slip up now and then do not worry too much...you are trying to improve and that is important. I managed to stop stone cold 2 yrs 7 months ago since I had hit rock bottom and had too much to loose. But as somebody replied to me: what is rock bottom?/ Individual choice....waiting to hear from you and best of luck!
  • Posted

You are having a bad withdrawal it can last a month or more I went through dts experienced all of what you are talking about I heard voices and other sounds that weren't there I'm a month in and still feeling headlight and out of it it's called DTs some people get them some don't

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.