Alcohol withdrawal syndrome symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I'm new here. I've been put on high dose baclofen therapy for chronic alcoholism. My GGT levels have dropped from 650 to 145 in 3 weeks! It's the first treatment ever that is really working for me. No cravings, no anxiety, no interest in alcohol at all. But the withdrawal has been really intense. Right now it's my gut. I'm constantly ravenous for food, but nothing seems to fill me up, even big healthy high fibre, vegetable and good fat meals. An hour later I feel like I'm starving again. I guess that's a good sign. I'm 182cm and 65kg. Any advice on how I can stop being so hungry all the time or shd I just ride it out? Thanks.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Zielwolf,

I don't know anything about Baclofen, but I think it must be great to reduce your GGT so much, so quickly.  Hopefully, someone else will reply with the experience and advice you need.

Good Luck with your therapy.

Alonangel 🎇

P.S.  Maybe your body is just crying out for better nutrition... missing vitamins and minerals, that have been depleted by alcohol.

• Posted

My rought arithmitec, makes that about 6ft and about 10st, which seems on the light side. Alcohol contains a lot of calories, easy calories that your body will go for first, before it bothers with calories from food.

Now it does not have that alcohol, it is having to get the calories from somewhere else, i.e. food. Whilst you are coming off alcohol, I really wouldn't worry about the eating, once you get the alcohol back under control, then you can worry about the amount you eat.

You will probably find that you eating stabilises after awhile, do not starve the body, it needs food to help it recuperate from years of alcohol abuse. You should also be taking certain medication to give your body vitamins that it would not have produced whilst you were drinking, have you been prescribed any medication other than Baclofen?

• Posted

I just replied..so I apologize if I post 2x.

Incorporate yogurt into your in between meals...it has alot of protein...and keeps me away from the carbs or sweets.

​Additionally, lessen your portions when you do eat a meal.  If you keep eating too much...your body is always going to want to eat

• Posted

You might want to check into "My Way Out", its a forum that as I recall is mainly about using Baclofen to get off alcohol, so maybe some different points of view in addition to the feedback here. Do check in with your doctor about this though! 

Just checking on the internet for 'baclofen hunger' turns up some info, doesn't seem to be the same for everyone though.

• Posted

sory for my ignorance but what is CGT?
    • Posted

It's blood test for an enzyme called, "Gamma-Glutamyl Transferase". It can be at elevated if the liver is damaged, but there might be other reasons it's beyond the typical range. My US doctor ordered this test before he would approve my prescription for Naltrexone, in the UK I believe this test is covered by the LFT. 
    • Posted

Yes, the GGT (Gordon's Gin & Tonic) is part of the LFT and is first port of call, when your doctor looks at the results. My GP said to me, this is the best indicator of excessive alcohol consumption and their main focus. An earlier GP had told me, the liver can't speak, but a high GGT is it squealing in pain.
    • Posted

Yip, Gamma G.T./ G.G.T. result is the one that shows liver damage caused by alcohol.  Mine was 395 some years ago... I had Alcoholic Hepatitis at that time.  I continued drinking for 6 months... madness.  Eventually, I managed to stop and stayed completely sober for 20 months.  G.G.T. should be less than 40... got mine down to 26. 

Sadly, I started drinking again, 3 years ago.  Don't know G.G.T. at present, don't want to.  I just know how bad things had become... so that is why I am taking Nalmefene, to help me reduce my alcohol intake gradually.

I am very afraid about liver damage.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

'Don't know G.G.T. at present, don't want to'

It's probably best not to think about it, but what you can do to help it. Which as well as cutting down, means taking medication to try and help it recover.

Cutting down, good diet and medications that help your mind and body recover, are all important. Even when people are struggling with the former, doing the second two helps, but sadly that doesn't often happen.

• Posted

Thanks, RHGB.  It's the fear of G.G.T. being high again that stops me asking for new testing.  I have been taking vitamin and mineral supplements, which I buy ( not from Doc.).  I have also been trying Apple Cider Vinegar... I find it disgusting !!! It is reputed to help liver... so I am closing my eyes, holding my nose and glugging it down...2 tablespoonsful in warm water... yuuukkkkk !

I take it last thing at night, or first thing in morning.

I wish I could just wake up as a sober person, one day.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Good luck Alonangel.

New to the forums but it seems great way to get support.

How are you doing on the Nalmefene?

I'm taking Naltrexone, but not being regular about it.

40 years of drinking behind me and still making excuses for "forgetting" to take it. Irregular drinking but i usually know when I should take pill.

Worried about liver too, a lot of drink has gone through it over the years and had blood tests which came out ok 6 months ago.

I just guess it's got to catch up with me sooner or later.

• Posted

Hello Pamabo,

The Forum has been a real lifeline to me.  I hope you enjoy being part of it.  I have been taking Selincro/Nalmefene for 5 weeks, now.  I have reduced my daily Units from 20 to 6.  Still a way to go to reach " supposedly safe" level.  I truly believe that alcohol is not for me... but I am addicted to it.    Retrospect is such a revelation !  So, I am plodding on, with hope in my heart.

I'm glad to hear that your liver tests were ok.  The liver is a mighty organ... it can take incredible abuse.  I know... I nearly wrecked it.  Anyway, how long have you been taking Naltrexone?  "Not being regular about it"--- does that mean you sometimes drink without taking it?  Do you have many alcohol- free days?

You are wise to be "liver aware".  There are few symptoms of damage... then... Wham !  Don't go there.  Get it all under control, now.  Listen to me, ha,ha, ...I can't control my own problem, but you know what I mean.

Good Luck,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Pamabo -

If you're following TSM, then just make sure you take the pill an hour before you drink, without fail. If you drink without the pill, then you're running yourself in reverse at double-speed. Maintain that and likely your liver will improve as your alcohol consumption drops (assuming it's a worry in the first place). Make sure you have a pill with you wherever you go, just in case.

• Posted

I hope you are doing well today, Zielwolf.  If your food is highly nutritious, you will be helping your body recover from alcohol damage.  Do you take supplements, as well?

I don't know the medically prescribed ones.  I just read information online, then buy my own.

There is such a lot to choose from.  B vitamins are well known, to help.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

all your replies are better than mine!! You have suggsted everything correctly to Zielwolf: nutrution, repairing your body graduallly etc and well done!! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.