Alcoholic Elder Brother

Posted , 4 users are following.

My brother is 30 years old. He is a severe alcoholic from past many Years. After so many days of constant boozing he is infected with Acute pancreatitis. We consulted gastroenterologist and cured with medications. And again he started boozing soon after he just felt alright. Even the doctor warned him not to booze. After few days pancreas attacked again for 5-6 times. He goes to doctor and he will stop boozing for few days and when he feels good he start again until the pancreas kicks him. This story repeated got 5-6 times. Once he also had a severe pain and pancreas attacked very badly and pseudo cysts formed around pancreas. He was in ICU for around 20 days in very serious condition. By the grace of God he also cured from that deadly pancreas attack. We have invested so much money and saved his life. Doctor has warned no to consume alcohol in any manner if consumed then you have to get ready to die.After seeing that deadly attack his wife given divorce. And after 6 - 8 months he was all fine and got a job with good package. He didn't consumed alcohol for about 1 year. All went fine. But from the past 1 month he started boozing again. Yesterday he boozed in such a way that he was literally unconscious. Me and my family unable to control his. We have warned him so many times even though he didn't listen to us and consume alcohol. We want to save him. I don't understand what to do now. How can I stop him consuming alcohol before it kills him. Please someone help me with your suggestions.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm afraid that nobody on the forum can help your brother, because the alcohol is his problem.... He is the only one who can help himself!

He needs to stop drinking completely, or next time he may not be so lucky.

I sympathize with your concern, but your brother needs to realize the severity of his condition and either go to rehabilitation or Alcoholics Anonymous.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your brother that he may make the right decision.

Please understand that you cannot help him unless he wants to help himself.

GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

gawd i hate addiction!  they say folks have to hit rock bottom to recover, but it sounds like he hit the ground hard and has lost hope. i don't know how or if they work, but have you tried an intervention?  It is a helpless feeling when people succumb to addicition.

Have you spoken to addiction therapists? AA folks could direct you if you have not gone there yet.

💔

• Posted

No we didn't tried any intervention and didn't spoken to any therapists.

• Posted

Hello my name is Nadine and I myself suffer from Chronic Pancreatitis found out last August 30th secondry to pneumonia. I wonder if your brother is suffering the same as the pain is always there and very debilitating and maybe protecting his family.If so that would explain why he does feel like giving up and with all the stress of the divorce. You see I have never had pseudo cysts as of yet but I have just started allowing myself a social drink.Alcoholism is in fact an illness within itself.So an added illness of which II myself take on board is not easy to live with.But what I will say is that your brother is very lucky to have that support from you and your family I have no one but one brilliant ex who simplyis looking after me at mo .Live alone normally but just had shoulder op. Such a shame he refuses to listen when I want to talk but I understand he loves me and is an era older says simply "you won't die "so frustrating I'm crying right now not for myself but for the fact who will talk about it with me iI not you there is no one else.If your brother has been diagnosed acute pancreatitis then he can change his life unfortunately I can't the damage has already been done!.Best wishes for you and your brother 😀👋💙💙

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.