Alcoholic Father

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for some solution to convince my father to stop his drinking addiction. I'm worried for him, I want to help him, but I don't know what to do. Now he is having high blood pressure and alcohol problems. I am really worried about the diseases caused by alcohol. Does he have to take the help of any addiction treatment centres in Toronto like Bellwood Health Services for this? Please give your advice.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

  • Posted

    I'm sorry for you...If he is willing to get help...the best option IS for him to be in a treatment center.  Ultimately...just know that if he could stop for YOU...he would....(I am an alcoholic and could never stop for anyone...not even myself). 

    For some of takes us getting so sick that we can't stand it and we by some miracle get well.  I hope your Dad gets well.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Does he admit that he has a problem with alcohol? If he doesn't there is little you can do to help me.

    However if he admits it to you, you could try telling him about what health problems alcohol can cause and how worried you are.

    I can only say the same as missey2.

    Being alcohol dependant is not done by choice. Try and think of it as an illness and he is not doing it to hurt you.

    it is a long and hard struggle to get and stay sober and he may need a 'wake up' call before he seeks help.

    I hope he does admit he has a problem as that is half the battle. With your support and medical advice he may well start to get better. You obviously care about him as you're asking here for advice.

    good luck


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    If he is not willing to stop or at least limit his drinking right down, there is a drug (and someone will jump in and name it, if Paul doesn't arrive first) which you can take whilst still drinking, that numbs the intensity/pleasure of the alcohol and thereby decreases your 'appetite for it'.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Anthony,

      The medication mentioned by RHGB is called naltrexone.  If you google naltrexone canada c three europe, you should find an article I wrote about getting help with this in Canada.  The article is called 'Will alcohol treatments, such as naltrexone, become more widely available in Canada?'  You can also PM me on here, on contact me direct from that article.

      However, like every other method out there to help with alcohol disorder, your father would have to be willing to admit that he has an issue and that he will take steps to help himself.

      In the meantime, remember to take good care of YOURSELF so that when he is willing to help you are in a position to not only have all the information to hand, but to be able to help him.


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    My experience is that motivation plays an important part. There needs to be something he desires more than he desires drink that he can't have while drinking as he is. And it needs to be tangible.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Anthony, first of all, he needs to have a desire to at least cut back - stopping all at once is dangerous. You could try to help him by finding something to keep his mind and body busy enough that the constant drinking will ease.

    Joanna has mentioned Naltrexone - this is to take away the pleaser of alcohol. While it has helped me, there are side-effects that are unpleasant for the first couple of weeks. I still drink but have far less desire to do so and later into the day as well. My to-do-list is getting done before drinking starts.

    An uphill challenge for sure but worth it in the end.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi your father afraid of how bad his drinking has become ? He may very well want to stop...but for many of us the sheer horror of withdrawal and facing up to the things that we have done and said.....WAY OUTWEIGHS the fear of health is also very scary losing that crutch that for a short time....makes us feel better both emotionally and physically....

    Have you tried to explain to him quietly and gently, just how concerned you are for his health ? Could his gp or another relative also talk to him.?

    You are so good to be on his side ( we all.need that. )

    I truly hope that you can get the help that you both NEED and my thoughts young man....Deirdre xx

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up