Alcoholic gastritis

Posted , 11 users are following.

After I consumed a bottle of citron vodka and lemonade over Memorial Day weekend, I felt sick, but continued to drink until the end of July, I had an endoscopy in which they found gastritis in august and have been in 40mgs of omeprazol for a month. I still feel nauseous a lot which has been my main and mostly only symptom other than getting full when drinking fluids which I now understand is dyspepsia due to the gastritis. My question is, how long with I have to endure this, and will I be able to drink again. How long until I'm healed as well as when I should try drinking again. I don't want to go back to binge drinking but getting drunk with some friends every now and then would be amazing, the only other symptoms are occasional heartburn, and I was excessively burping but it is way less now, Thank you.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Read your post again and then take the advise you would give someone you cared for.  To put it politely, stop drinking alcohol.
  • Posted

Stop drinking. Try herb. Or other avenues of getting wasted. Come on don't drink it's killing you.

• Posted

You should not drink if you have stomach or colon problems. Or drink in moderation. Drinking makes stomach problems worse. May I also suggest Alcoholic Anonymous meetings?
  • Posted

I totally agree with other members 

i think you should be trying to stop drinking rather than when can I drink again .gastritis is a terrible think and you have been lucky you have only had mild symptoms it can be very debilitating and can lady for months and also can be recurring 

If you have a problem with drinking i would try and seek  help to sort out the problem because if you keep on drinking the way you described gastritis won't be the only illness you will have  kidney and liver problems etc 

I hope you get some advice with your problem and get it sorted 

• Posted

I agree with everyone else. Please don't even think about drinking or other problems will follow. I don't understand why people look forward to getting drunk.

• Posted

Hi Billjesus7

You will always have gastritis problems if you drink..even when the gasrtritis has healed a bit.. if you consume alcohol it will come back and eventually cause a gastric ulcer which my uncle died from ..he continued to drink and died of a burst gastric ulcer......THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK!!!

• Posted

I'm a college sophomore heavy drinking is a prominent thing, I don't have a problem I just enjoy going out and drinking with friends, I've never had any issues with alcohol until I had this citron stuff with the lemonade.  After that I've had gastritis. All I wanted to know is will I be able to drink again, have some beers with the guys every now and then. 

• Posted

Something tells me you're not listening and don't take too well to advice.

• Posted

Hi Billjesus

Obviously your gut has been affected overtime by alcohol binging without giving any signs until that drink you took was the last straw your gut didn't like it.. do yourself and gut a favour......stop thinking about drink and get on with your studies.....

• Posted

whats up dude. I know you posted this 3 years ago, but in the low chance that you see this message, I want to know how you're doing. i am currently going through the exact same thing that you are and I really want to know if it gets any better and if I will be able to drink again. I hope you see this and can get back to me

• Posted

How is your recovery going? Love to exchange notes on what works for you.

• Posted

How are you doing man? I am in a similar boat as you. Different symptoms. Been seriously trying to heal myself for about a month and it's going ok. Stopping drinking is an absolute must. From what I gather ... it's going to be a while until our systems can handle alcohol again (quite a few months maybe even a year+... idk). I don't think it had much to do with the type of drink but repetitive damage and that was the final straw.

I understand the want to go back and drink, I feel that too but at least speaking for my self my attitude will forever be changed about alcohol. It's poison ... fun poison but poison none the less. I am waiting until I am A ok and then waiting months more before I ever touch the stuff again.

• Posted

Hi, this reply goes to Bill, Blitz and Mike.

I'm in a similar situation.

Firstly I want to say that I don't understand all the previous do-good answers and advices. "are you serious dude, stop drinking!" Drinking, if not excessively, is a social event which bonds people and puts meaning to life, if you like it or not. Same as good food to others or jogging or reading or bowling. This young man was just asking if he will be able to drink a few beers with his friends EVER again in his life. And that's heavy if he won't be able to. Doable but heavy.

So how is now doing any of you guys? Drank a beer so far?

Best regards from Slovenia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.