Alcoholism

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I am 25 year old female and I am appalled at the level of alcoholism in Ireland. I was in a a local pub over the weekend and was having a conversation with another person when a drunk man came over and attempted to spit into our faces. I told him to move away as we are having a conversation when out of no where he proceeded to verbally attack me with the most foul language. I told him I would call security if he didnt stop but it got to the point where I feared he would get physical. Serious drinking problem in this country!!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I think it's a problem in the uk especially with the young people nowadays, drinking to oblivion every weekend. 

• Posted

This is probably common across England, too, but in Ireland there is one huge (additional) barrier preventing people from getting the help they need - and that is religion!

A treatment is available on the HSE that can help someone gradually reduce their consumption.  It has been available for a couple of years now.

However, those I have spoken to in Ireland have struggled to get this medical treatment because their doctor believes that this is a moral issue that can only be resolved by giving oneself to God, or praying harder.... or something similar.  Those who have persisted have got the treatment and are doing very well, but we wouldn't have to persist to gain medical treatment for diabetes or blood pressure or cancer, would we?

So, not only does Ireland have big alcohol misuse issues, they also have too much religion influencing the medical profession.

sad

• Posted

I think Ireland has far more important issues than alcohol abuse to worry about.

This forum section comes under mental health and is meant to support people that are struggling.

• Posted

I'll second that motion..Or even if it was on Alcoholism, Saying you had  Coming on here was a wrong turn, try Trip advisor maybe? A Irishman comes to you in a Bar in Ireland, Drunk? And moaning at you? I persume you are British? The Irish have a `chip`on their shoulder, something about a Potato......Still, get past that, a lovely bunch.....And yes, you a use my chip joke....and no offence Irish..

• Posted

Hi Cheryl. What a horrible experience for you. The landlord should have reacted earlier and quicker to avoid this. Very regrettable indeed! Robin
  • Posted

Not a good experience.  I know several Irish guys and they are real gents, even when they have a lil too much of the old black stuff.
  • Posted

That's why we as women should learn self defense to beat the mofos up if they try to get physical. 👏💪GIRL POWER!smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.