Alcon Vivity REAL PATIENTS Reviews Needed

Posted , 8 users are following.

Got really aggressive cataract in one of my eyes and now in needs of scheduling a surgery. Desperately trying to find online ANY REAL reviews (YouTube video, forum posts, etc.) of Alcon Vivity. I know it is still a "gamble" with any type of lenses but at least watching someone's positive result with EDOF lenses would help me to overcome my depression. Thank you for your time!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I am having that same lens implanted in a few weeks. There is a recent YouTube video by Dr. Shannon Wong entitled "There is no perfect lens implant. How to manage the unhappy patient with a Synergy lens." I don't think I can place links here, but that title line should get you there. Worth looking up. In it he describes a patient who he eventually gives a Vivity lens.

There are also some reviews in other threads in this forum from people who have had Vivity lens implants and are pleased. Admittedly others are less pleased with it.

If you like podcasts I recommend a podcast called "Ophthalmology off the Grid

With Blake Williamson, MD" The podcast for Feb .26, 2021 is called "New Options in IOLs" Francesco Carones, MD a doctor from Milan is interviewed. He has lots of Vivity experience talks about the Eyhance and Vivity. That interview gave me a positive impression of Vivity.

Good luck to you. Hang in there.

• Edited

thanks Kevin! I've been getting more and more positive info about Vivity but my only concern that is still bothering me is the fact of decreased contract sensitivity (especially in low light ) compare to Alcon AcrySoft IQ for example. I know it is a tradeoff for that extra intermediate distance you are getting... I just hope that is negligible and won't be a big deal. If many people are fine with contrast of trifocals like PanOptix (which has even lower CS than Vivity) then I think it shouldn't be a big of a deal for me. I even thought about the idea of getting Vivity in one eye and if for any reason I'm not satisfied with result, get monofocal AcrySoft IQ in second eye. Not sure about it and probably will need to discuss it with my surgeon. I really want to have glasses-free intermediate (computer) distance with minimal impact to CS, visual acuity and overall quality of vision. Good luck to your surgery! looking forward to hear from you about your results.

• Edited

I have vivity in my right eye (dominate) and i love it. I'm only three weeks in, but so far it is amazing. my distance vision has always been poor (like 20/800), but corrected to 20/20 with contacts, until i got a bad cataract in my right eye. The vivity lens gave me perfect 20/20 at distance and up to about 18 inches away. Colors got brighter and everything is super sharp now in my right eye -- far better than my left eye that i thought was "perfect" with contact correction. The vivity lens is blurry below 18 inches for me. This is a normal characteristic of the Vivity lens, so I am putting a panoptix lens in my left eye for near vision. For me the Vivity gives me perfect distance, computer, and "reading phone at distance", but it doesn't work for reading in bed or phone close up.

I have considered going with two Vivity lenses and wearing readers for close up reading, but I love the idea of never needing glasses or contacts again. I've also considered another vivity in my left eye with the prescription off-set for better close vision and worse distance vision, but my doc said I likely wouldn't like the outcome. so far, for me, the vivity lens has been amazing.

• Edited

thanks! Do you have any troubles in night driving? How's the contrast in low-light conditions (compare to your natural eye)?

• Edited

So, I am almost four weeks in with the Vivity and I have had no issues with low light or night driving. When I'm driving I do a lot of flipping between my left (good, natural, with -8.5 contact) and my right (vivity). My "good" eye actually has more halo at night while driving. I cannot notice any difference in reading signs at night, between the two eyes -- even if they are not lit up.

I've tried to create "low contrast" test at home, so after I get my Panoptix this weekend I have a better basis for before and after. If I go in a dark room with a dimmer switch on 50% to create low light and I look at book covers with low contrast writing from 3-4 feet away, I can't tell the difference between my two eyes. If I try reading a paperback book in low light from 18" away I can see slightly better in my natural eye, but the Vivity starts to lose all vision around 18" so it really isn't a fair test.

• Edited

I have the lense since 2 years and I'm so unhappy with the night vision, either I'm an special case or they just lie lie lie. I have LIGHTSTREAKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs like the traffic lights put about 5 light streaks pointing down through my vision. IT IS SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to love the night now whenever I go out at night I get depression. Also the reduced contrast vision makes it like I can only see sharp for 30 meters at night. If I had the chance I would go for monofocal anytime again. or at least dominant eye monofocal and the other eye a vivity.

• Edited

Sorry to hear about your issues. If it makes you feel any better I have streaks and starbursts with a monofocal. Although the starbursts didn't happen until 5 months after surgery and I'm told they might be due to PCO. I've also been told the streaks (which are different, broader and in only two distinct places unlike the wide fan of countless "spikes" which I'm calling starburst) may be caused by two small winkles in the capsular bag. I think there's a tendency to blame any visual issues after surgery directly on the IOL but the eye is a very delicate and complex system so it's not always the fault of the IOL.

p.s. After posting this I noticed your username and recognized you as the person who has posted years ago about your issues with night driving specifically. Sorry things have not gotten any better in all this time. Again I'm not 100% sure we can blame all of the issues on Vivity but given your ongoing troubling issues I wonder if you've ever considered an explant / exchange? It's not recommended this long after surgery and probably 99% of surgeons couldn't or wouldn't do it, but this thread mentions a doctor in New Jersey that specialized in exchanges sometimes many years after surgery. Might be worth a phone call? https://patient.info/forums/discuss/want-to-explant-iol-but-doc-says-it-isa-bad-idea-802989

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.