Alendronic Acid

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I last posted on here a few years ago when I'd been diagnosed with Marked Osteopenia at the age of 54.  I've since fractured my ankle and severely broken my right wrist so have had another Dexa Scan which has shown that Osteoporosis in now in my spine and I've been told I've to take Alendronic Acid to strengthen my bones.  I'm pretty worried as the main side effect is heartburn etc, I've had to take Omeprazole for years due to constant gastric problems so I'm really frightened to take this - have any others got similar issues? Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Have you been offered any advice regarding nutrition and appropriate exercise, which can go a very long way towards reversing bone thinning without medication?  
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply, no I haven't had any information about diet/exercise. I was just told that my doctor and I would be informed in the next few weeks about the new meds I'd need to take, and the consequences of not taking them - I suppose I'll just need to do the research myself, I know there's a lot of good advice on this forum etc - I do feel a bit overwhelmed by it all.

• Posted

If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you should find my post where I describe my journey.  That will give you an introduction to where you might be able to go.  What you decide does depend, of course, on what your t-score is and whether you have had any fractures due to osteoporosis.  Your decision should not be based on the incomplete knowledge of your physician.  It's not their fault, really, they just don't know as much as they should about non-medical means.  

• Posted

Yes I can relate to what you are saying and my sister also has issues and we both take Pariet. She did take AA which should never have happened because of her problem. She was okay for a while but then became very unwell. She then tried prolia and that was worse because she was stuck with it for six months. 

My sister had breast cancer and the treatment for that probably left her with osteopenia and osteoporosis although the latter was not too bad, -2.9.

Mine is much worse with a tscore in the lower back of -4.3 averaging to -3.4.

I have herniated discs which seem to cause more problems than the osteoporosis.

No one can tell you what path to take but advise you to arm yourself with all knowledge possible and then make the best decision for you.

All the best.

• Posted

I'm a couple of years older and have gastric reflux too and started taking AA 6-8 weeks ago -found by taking my tablets in the morning with my breakfast i was getting a burned cheek as the acid drbbled out at night so switched to evening - Ispoke to my Doctor and Dentist and am now on 2 different tablets, one morning, one evening and it seems to be working.  I went on a drastic liquid diet in my 30s and my gums receeded badly so I have been told dental hygine is the key, regularly cleaning and flossing - my dentist said to chew gum to reduce my stomach acid but not to swallow the gum - its when you lose a tooth you can have problems with the bone around where the tooth had been dying and holes around teeth can take much longer to heal so please be aware of your dental hygiene and get your teeth checked regularly.  Talk to your doctor and dentist so both are aware and able to fully monitor you.  Best wishes

• Posted

I’m 55 with a -3.3 T score in my hips because of MS necessitating some wheelchair use.  Was never warned about damage to my bones.  I’ve been on AA for 7 months as well as calcium supplements.  Like you I was really worried about it but like many people I’ve accepted that I have to put up with it and pray that it does help.  I’m doing lots on light impact exercise and following a high calcium diet.  I’m also taking Vit K2 which was recommended.  I don’t have any serious side effects although my ankles swell but that’s because I cannot walk much.  There is Ibandronate Acid which only has to be taken once a month but that’s mainly for spine, not hips.  Ask your doctor as I loved only having to take it monthly.  I also found the osteoporosis society free phone helpline (in uk) very reassuring and more clued up than my GP! Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you all for your replies - they definitely help and I now have more information which will help me decide what to do next.  The scan showed that my hips were fine, it's the spine that is affected, I cannot remember the T score, but the nurse at the hospital was writing to both myself and the GP about the details so should have all the relevant info soon. I didn't know there was a monthly option, Ibandronate Acid, that appeals to me so will mention that to my doctor.  Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond, it means a lot.

• Posted

anyone being told they need to be on alendronic acid should think very carefully before they agree to take it. Back in 2004 I was told my bone density was low and was put onto bisphosphonates (Actonel, alendronic acid etc) and was told I would need to be on them for life. After seven years on them I told my doctor I wanted to stop taking them because I was getting aches in my thighs and muscle weakness. Much against her wishes I stopped and was off them for two years during which time I slipped in the garden and broke my left femur so I was put back on them for another three years.  Last August I decided to stop them again because I was getting the aches in my thighs again so a different doctor referred me to an osteoporosis consultant to discuss whether to go back on it again.  After several x-rays I was told not to take alendronic acid ever again because I have a very small fracture, looks like a scratch, on my other femur. This is called an atypical femur fracture caused by the osteoporosis medication. The treatment is a metal rod and screws, like in the other leg which probably broke so easily because I was on the medication.   It can also cause osteonecrosis of the jaw which causes problems with dental treatment.  Doctors freely prescribe medication that is supposed to strengthen your bones when what it actually does is just make them harder and brittle.   They are persuaded by drug companies that there are newer or better drugs but no one bothers to look back over the years and see what effects the tablets are having on bones. As for heartburn, I had a lot of it while I was on the tablets and ended up with gastritis and am sure it was because of taking the one a week tablet. Advise to anyone already on the bisphosphonates, if you get aches in your thighs, hips or groins that are unexplained it could be to do with the medication so see your doctor.
  • Posted

ive been on alendronicacid sinnce january of this year , since then ive got worse , weaker, been hospitilised3 times,just out of hospital ,2 days ago,asked to be taken off it,and was put on ,risedronate sodium ,,ie taken to hospital again ,has anyone else had this drug/drugs  or any bad reactions to it ,it cuased to to have barrats oesaphagus,,

• Posted

If you have Barretts oesophagus you should not be taking the swallowing ones.

What are your tscores? And what has caused your osteoporosis? 

Have you broken any bones?

• Posted

morning kath ,thanksfor your reply,the osteoporosis was first diagnosed in 2015,prior to this i was very fit ,trying to help people i know ,we were moving a section of very heavy decking,but people dropped it to soon ,i was left holding on to it,then i felt something give way in my lower back/hip area ,tried to pass it off as usual,ie it,ll be ok soon,it didnt and got worse ,eventually i was sent to xray dept,, was told later i had severalfractures of discs/vertebrae,saw a few bone doctors ,one put me on bone tabs ,calceos,then later ,alendronic acid,then residronate ,this one put me in hospital,iwas  released last friday after 3 weeks ,,over time these two acids made me weaker,after having a camera throat bowel scan ,,was told i had ,,barrats,,which the acids had caused since i was put on them in january,,awating biopsy results ,over the months my appetite decreased ,became constipated ,nauseas,trying to vomit ,dry retching ,,finally one night after trying to be sick i phoned an ambulance told my blood pressure was haywire,that didnt helpbeing an AF sufferer,,now im on movicol/lactulosedaily which has been a great help,,,,,,,,,,,,,trying to build strength up now,ie right foods,,,just wish these side effects were mentioned earlier,sorry about the typing ,kath ,geoff
    • Posted

No worries Geoff! You  have had a lot of trouble. It sounds reasonable that you broke bones as a result of holding heavy decking as anyone likely would. 

You need to check things likevitamin D levels. You could start taking vitamin K2. Some foods to include in your diet are leafy greens, oats, yoghurt, avocados, prunes, bonybroth, lots of vegetables and fruit. 

If yourtscores are not too bad you may improve your bones naturally.

Do you know your tscores? It is also good if you can find thecause of your osteoporosis.

Kathleen

• Posted

morning kath ,it seems my past working life[building ,decorating]has cought up with me ,which ive done since the eary 70s, so the docs  have said, i thought i was ok ,all those years ago , ive taken calcium , cod oil for years thinking it was doing my good , appears it didnt , ive had bone scan in 2015 , a few , dont know thebone mass score though will ask about that ..yesterday and today are the first days ive been on my own at home ,stayed at my daughters for a few days after coming out of hossy ,felt strange ,weak ,but determined to try and live a normal life now ,if pos , trying to sort a decent food regime out now , no greasy stuff ,,before i went in , i did try ,cannabis,which helped quell the pain ,i only took it at night , which was when most of the sickness ,pain came , which foods helped you ?kath .no citrus fruit for me , which i loved as part of my 5 a day ,hope your ok  cheers ,geoff
  • Posted

Hi all, I've been reading the various posts about this issue over the last few months - it really worries me that this medication is affecting people so badly yet still seems to be routinely prescribed without giving the patient the full facts of the possible side effects.

I'm still sitting with the unopened pack of Alendronic Acid which I got some months ago - I'm just taking the Ical-D3 supplement - I did explain to my doctor that I was worried about about my stomach issues getting worse by taking it but she said I should try anyway.  It seems as if risedronate isn't much better - I was told by the nurse when I'd been diagnosed with osteoporosis that getting a fusion of these meds bypass the stomach problems but I'm assuming that even that has side effects.  

I'm doing some exercise and trying to watch my diet but probably need to do better with both - hope you are all okay, take care! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.