Alendronic acid and Anastrozole

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer August 2017 which is also estrogen positive. This means I now have to take the hormone therapy drug Anastrozole which depletes bone density. Hence I was sent for a dexa  scan. It came back I was age related osteoporotic. I’m 65. I have to take the Anastrozole and no way will stop it as it is best for helping to stop recurrence of my breast cancer which I am free of at the moment

I took 2 doses of AA and then felt quite ill with thick head/pressure in head/light headed/awful palpitations/shaky etc. Also had awful acid for 2 days. I didn’t take 3rd dose and gradually felt better but took weeks to feel right. GP said it wasn’t side effects as would have happened sooner.!

We agreed I would wait until felt well and then try again. I restarted and took a dose Saturday gone and this afternoon (Monday) I have the shaky/head pressure symptoms  etc again but not the palpitations. I don’t want to feel ill like this but worried about fractures as the Anastrozole speeds the depletion of bone density by 2.5 times. 

At the moment my T scores are:

AP spine -2.8

Rt Hip -2.6

Rt. Femoral -2.3

Apparently I have 10% chance of femoral fracture in next 10 years so GP said but the Anastrozole would/could speed that up.

Has anyone had these side effects or are on Anastrozole? Does anyone know what I can do to lessen the effects of the Anastrozole on the bone density please. What I mean is does anyone know please what I can do to increase density and not have to take Alendronic Acid. I’m doing weight bearing expertise’s but that’s all I know. Oncologist and GP say certain foods won’t help and only exercise. Not sure I believe that.

Any help or ideas would be gratefully received. Sorry for long post.

Love Frances xxx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Frances, I’m a pharmacy student and came across your case when I was studying.

First of all - there is no way of reducing the effect anastrozole will have on your bone density because this effect is due to Anastrozole blocking the oestrogen receptor, and oestrogen is protective to your bones. As suggested by others, it is a good idea  to keep up a healthy diet and weight-bearing excercise to try and strengthen your bones. 

You should have been advised to take AA in the morning with a full glass of water, and not to lie down for 30 minutes after this to minimise acid problems. Have you asked your GP about alternatives to AA? There is really good evidence for this group of medicines in slowing down and preventing osteoporosis. Two common alternatives are Risedronate (oral) and Ibandronic acid (oral or injected), which I’m sure your GP would be able to look into if you told them you aren’t tolerating your AA. I hope this helps! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.