Alendronic acid and sugar levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1995 and in 1999 I had a bone scan and was told my bone mineral density in my spine was low.  Another bone scan in 2004 showed a score of -2.9 showing a high risk in my spine and I was put onto Actonel in 2005.  I was changed to Alendronic Acid in 2010 and carried on taking it until 2012 but decided to stop it as I had read bad things about it and I had also been getting muscle weakness and pains in my thighs.  It was agreed with my doctor that I could have a "holiday" for a couple of years but during that time, in April 2014, I slipped in the garden and broke my femur and after a scan I was put back onto AA in July of 2014.  I carried on taking it  and was on it for three years up until a few weeks ago when I started to get the weakness and pains in my legs that I had before the femur fracture.   As the advice now is to only take AA for three years I felt justified in stopping it, which I did about a month ago.  By the way, two scans showed that I have compressed fractures of my L4 and L9 vertebrae in spite of the supposedly bone hardening medication!

The whole point of this message is to say that since I stopped taking the AA, whether this is coincidence or not, but my blood sugar levels have been better than they ever were when I was on the tablets and as I control my diabetes with insulin I have had to reduce it slightly.  As the latest bone scan showed that I am still at high risk of fracture I wonder why I am bothering to take the tablets as I have been on them for a total of 12 years and yet there is no change in my bone density, unless the tablets were stopping it getting worse.  I would much rather have good sugar levels because high levels cause so much damage to practically every organ in the body.  I was wondering if anyone with diabetes and also taking AA had any problems with high blood sugar levels?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

No, I do not take AA but I am a diabetic so this information is welcomed by me.

Maybe just do what many are now doing and that is have vitamin K2 and watch vitamin D levels and make sure you have enough calcium and a really good diet which you probably already with diabetes as I know I do.

• Posted

Taking it for that long actually makes the bones brittle. I have come to the conclusion if the bone a living organism and capable of replenishing itself wouldn’t it be better to focus on helping and supporting that than destroying any of the bone in order to make some harder?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.