Alendronic acid fears

Posted , 6 users are following.

i first posted about a year ago when I was prescribed AA and was very wary about taking it. Even though I was not diagnosed with full osteoporosis, I have a fracture of my spine, about which I was not aware, though I suspect I caused it lifting some very heavy bags of rock salt. 

From the beginning I was very reluctant to take it, mostly because of the possible dental problems in the future but decided, because of the fracture, I would try it. I have actually tolerated it quite well, though I dislike the morning each week when I take it. I also take Vit K2, magnesium, cod liver oil, Vit D3. I cannot take calcium supplements as I have kidney stones but I have increased my calcium intake through food. 

My fears have been reinforced this week as I have a bad toothache and will need to see the dentist. I do not know if I will need an extraction, which because of the potential complications, terrifies me. 

Basically my question is, has anyone on this forum had a fracture and still not taken any prescribed medications? I don’t want to act irresponsibly and will, of course, consult my GP but there is nothing like talking to people who have experienced a  similar situation. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had terrible tooth complications after a very short time on AA. After that I could not keep the tablets down at all. 

Just having them near me brought me out in hives. My tooth had fused into my jaw bone and it took 3 hours in the dentist chair to cut it out. Had gone too far for transfer to hospital but dentist was amazing.

I stopped but doctor insisted as I was getting a lot of damage from falling.

He now gives me 6 monthly injections which I have tolerated so far. 

I eould prefer not to take this but too many breaks, even small obes can be devastating at my age.

• Posted

That sounds awful! Yes, it is like being between a rock and a hard place. I am just so afraid of necrosis of the jaw. I didn’t even know I had a spine fracture! If I had not had scans for other things, I would not know up to now. 
  • Edited

The current recommendations are to take bone meds for only a couple of years, in order to avoid the risks of adverse side effects.  You can help your bones become healthier by taking supplements your doctor recommends, like D3 and calcium, but also adding other micronutrients, especially Vitamin K2, and making sure your diet contains enough magnesium and other things like boron.  Vitamin K2 directs calcium into the bones.  Vitamin D can't do that.  

I used to have very sensitive teeth and owing to being on prednisone now have some serious gum recession.  But I have found after months of taking Vitamin K2 (two capsules a day, 100 mcg each) that my teeth are no longer sensitive.  I suspect, although I have no proof, that Vitamin K2 has helped firm up my jaw bone.  I remember a few years ago remarking to the dental hygienist that I felt like my teeth were shifting in my mouth.  She just said this was normal with aging.  But that effect has long since vanished since I started taking supplements, especially K2, and doing exercise to help my bones.

• Posted

That is encouraging! I have followed many of your posts and really think I will come off AA soon. In spite of my having taken K2 for nearly a year now (again on your advice) I have this really achy tooth/jaw/ head which I had hoped was going away but I will call the dentist tomorrow to see if it is a dental problem. Difficult to tell right now as it all hurts! It is just the spine fracture that concerns me. I would hate to come off AA and then cause more damage to my spine, such a difficult decision to make! 
    • Posted

I know.  The more I follow people's stories on this and the PMR forums the more I am struck by how difficult situations are.  The kinds of choices people have to make are really impossible.  I'm sorry the K2 hasn't been enough to prevent your jaw problems.  Hopefully things will go well for you with the current treatment. 

• Posted

I realize my K2 dosage is much lower than yours. I will up mine to see if that helps. 
    • Posted

I cut back to 100 mcg for a while and developed the sensitive teeth again.  I do seem to need the second capsule.  It took a few months for things to improve again, but I've noticed lately that I don't mind drinking cold water or eating an orange straight from the fridge, and those are things I'd avoided for many years!

• Posted

I had spinal fracture caused by Osteoporosis a few years ago.....I'm a Carer, so say no more! They put me on AA and because of my work I found too difficult to take so I have been on the monthly one Ibandronic. My aches in muscles & bones has worsened and I think I'll just take myself off it. Tried to exercise, Nordic walking, but I can't do it without taking pain killers so what's the point? Is there anyone else out there who has tried this monthly one? I'm 61 and young I understand to have Osteoporosis. I'd rather have brittle bones and feel better than put up with this crap.

• Posted

Hi Alison, I’m taking AA and was also very concerned about taking it. I also have a fracture on my spine, which I did not know about until I had a MRI scan in Feb this year. Last year I fractured my foot and later my hand and I’ve now been diagnosed with osteoporosis, I’m 62. I was horrified that I’d been given AA, because my husbands nan in her early nineties was put on AA, so I saw it as an elderly persons medicine.

i think you should speak to your doctor/consultant about it, I did and found it very helpful. Have you also been given Evacal to take twice a day?

im taking AA because I don’t want my bones to become any more weaker and more brittle than they already are. 

I have now got used to taking it once a week and it’s become just part of my routine. I hope that this helps! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.