Alendronic acid for osteoporosis

Posted , 12 users are following.

It might be useful to people newly-diagnosed with osteoporosis to know that some patients tolerate alendronic acid so much worse than others that taking the drug is like ingesting poison. For other people, bewilderingly, the drug is fine, the side effects minimal. I was prescribed the once-weekly dose, and fell into the category of those who experience almost every side effect on the list. In the belief that the side effects would be temporary, I took a second dose, had the same problems (primarily a crippling bone pain, a feeling that my entire skeleton was under devastating internal attack), and it has taken me several weeks to get over that. I have investigated several loudly-trumpeted 'natural' methods of healing, and conclude that while they might help, they would not do enough to combat the continuing bone loss. I am investigating the possiblity of six-monthly injections of a hormone-related medication now. The best source of information was for me in the UK the National Osteoporosis Society, a charity which deserves our support. The nurse who answered the helpline was better-informed than my (very nice, very competent) GP. Best of luck to anyone out there with a new diagnosis. You will feel so alone, so shocked and so helpless, so lacking in information, so frightened if the necessary medications have dreadful side-effects and you think you have no alternative. It seems to me that as an individual you have to keep going and keep asking questions until you manage to tailor something to your own condition. Reading about the benefits of exercise and yoga has helped me a great deal (yoga in particular is helpful, and its teachings about the relation of muscle to living bone enlightening), while at the same time I know I need to work to find the right medicine. 

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just a question...I was prescribed alendronic acid....I took 70mg twice...I had such a bad reaction I did not take any more ....but I still feel nauseous...tired...and diarrhoea...also my hair was coming out...sore mouth...reflux..I have no gall bladder so ...acid reflux bad...I was wanting to know how long before the side effects wear off...I. Will not take them again even if I am diagnosed with osteoporosis I told my doctor so...so pleased I only took for two weeks...

• Posted

How are you now?  I am wondering about trying the alendronic acid and seeing how i get on...but must admit scared with the number of side effects especially as i suffer with M.E./Fibro and arthritis.  I broke both my wrists last Dec, hence dexa scan, and drug, but suffer with heartburn anyway.  Good luck with everything.
  • Posted

Hi I have recently started AA after years of risedronate which did nothing for me except make me nauseus, however I have spinal compression fractures, which obviously the risedronate did nothing to help. I am now waiting to see ortho consultant, to find out if any treatment is available. I asked GP about injections but they are not available in our NHS area, even although the registrar  at the hospital which EVENTUALLY found my fractures reccomended them. So far AA hasnt caused me any problems although I do feel its abit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. 
  • Posted

Same for me- diasgnosed with a Dexasxan, but young and tried Alendronic acid yesterday that I've been prescribed, from this afternoon getting the worst symptoms of pain ever in ribs and back, it's awful..
    • Posted

Unfortunately, you are probably stuck with this for the next five to ten years because of the half-life which the doctors conveniently forget to tell you about. The symptons should ease off if you are no longer taking the AA but I suggest that you search the forums and consider the natural method of curing yourself. This is based on a book and so far seems to be very effective.

There is a strong bones support group within these forums, you may get some information from there

There is a link below and there are further links on that discussion where more support is available..

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/strong-bones-support-group-511551

• Posted

I cannot  understand ,how can somebody stay on a medication for yearsssssss if the mdication does anything good? I met some ladies last week . They handed me their notes from their doctors .They live in a country where every year docs performs DEXA SCAN  for their OP patients to evaluate the results .One of these ladies was on Myacalcin ,then Evista ,then Protelos  always along with Ca and vit D .

.They kept changing the treatment as she had no improvement at all .She was on  this medications for 11 years and now she developed hypercalcemia =higy  level of calcium in her blood. Now the Dr stoped all her medications including the supplements . And after all this , her DEXA t -scrore went worse year after years . I already made to myself a picture of this awful condition and the treatments they push on people . Why in the earth was  barbara 26766 put to take for years risedronate if did nothing to her health ? I am just puzzled how this condition is treated.

I have no words toshow my disapointment .Bye now .

Mariana

• Posted

Hello Mariana

I can understand how initially people are either frightened or bullied onto medication about which they know nothing. Unfortunately, most people believe and trust in their doctor and obey instructions without question. Then there are people like me who after the initial shock of being told I had osteoporosis and had to use AA because there was no alternative, decided to find out the truth for myself because I've had experience of bossy, bullying doctors and mine is one of them. As you know, I have ended up on the natural route and at the moment, just having all the good things that this entails is clearing up many of my previous minor problems as well. Because I haven't followed doctors orders, I may have problems getting the doctor to OK a new dexascan when my year is up. I am prepared to take this as far as necessary to prove my point that an incompetent twit should not be in control of such dangerous drugs. I would guess that the patients that you came across just accepted what the clever doctor told them and never researched their condition or questioned what they had been told. It's very sad but the majority of people on dodgy medication are almost certainly in a similar group and since for us there is no automatic follow-up system, the doctors get away with it. I bet that most of them don't even realise what they are doing to their patients and I wonder how many would care if they did know. There is an old saying "Things aren't what they used to be". The doctors themselves are now under so much pressure that they probably don't have the time to research or follow-up on treatments and rely on the patient returning and asking for the next stage. Unfortunately, most patients do not realise that they need to follow things up themselves. I too are disappointed with the system.

Kindest Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin ,

All you said is true . People are not questioning what is happening to themselvs ..Many of them cannot ,they have no inormations and knowledge  how to do that . ,They think all is good .

But patients are not in the position to question the meaning of a treatment .But a doctor who sees that the medication does not work ,how can he/she insist on doing harm ? I cannot understand all this . I have a very high moral standard and I cannot understand this .It is like I DO NOT CARE __IT IS MY DUTY >>BLA BLA YOU HAVE TO TAKE THIS BLA BLA ..I am very disapointed and this is related  to my background which you know . I am sad ,very sad .But it is time to leave all this behind me and see what I can do for myself. See you later ! I must run again . smile

M.

• Posted

Hi Colin,

Agree with you on this sad

Sad state of affairs.

- grradually catching up on here!! wink lol

?kindest regards Carrie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.