alendronic acid ,,,risedronate,,worst thing ever for me

Posted , 2 users are following.

nothing was explained to me about the effects of the above,doctors should makepatients awareof the side effects, not give them out willynilly,,for me it was a gradual slide downhill,no appetite ,nausea,no interest,panic attacks unable to breathe [mainly at night]trying to be sick ,dry retching to the extent i thought my ribs were broken xrays showed nothing, later found out ,it was ruptured chest muscles which do not show on xray ,already having AF,this was made worse blood pressure all over the place,,low levels of potasium/magnesium ,anyone else suffer like this?cheers 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I've never taken the drugs - and hearing about side effects is one reason I never will.  What are you doing now to help improve your health and get over this awful experience?

• Posted

hi anhaga,ive been off alendronic acid for a month now [i think ]all been a blur ,the hospital sorted it out ,im very weak ,but trying to eat the right foods now ,all calcium rich ,no greasey food , cant even have oranges ,which i include in my 5 a day ,, awaiting follow up treatment from vatious depts at the hospital ,ie nutrition , lung function ,, bone clinic , blood tests.they even took me off warfarin , which they replaced with a one a day tablet ,as opposed to theeight a day for warfarin ,gradually getting my appetite back,thanks for asking ,anhaga,how are you doing health wise ?, geoff 
    • Posted

Well, they are certainly keeping you busy, no wonder it all seems a blur!  If you aren't eating any at the moment try to get some fermented foods into you.  Yoghurt is good, supposed to help with calcium absorption too, kefir probably even better as it contains many more strains of beneficial bacteria.  There are lots of others but it sounds like you need to be extra careful what you eat just at the moment, so be cautious.  If you aren't used to fermented foods introduce them very slowly in small quantities to allow your gut to adapt.  Improving your gut microbiome is likely to have a beneficial effect on your overall health, but as you are just getting through a nasty patch and have changed so many things so recently I'm not qualified to advise on specifics.  

• Posted

Well, they are certainly keeping you busy, no wonder it all seems a blur!  If you aren't eating any at the moment try to get some fermented foods into you.  Yoghurt is good, supposed to help with calcium absorption too, kefir probably even better as it contains many more strains of beneficial bacteria.  There are lots of others but it sounds like you need to be extra careful what you eat just at the moment, so be cautious.  If you aren't used to fermented foods introduce them very slowly in small quantities to allow your gut to adapt.  Improving your gut flora is likely to have a beneficial effect on your overall health, but as you are just getting through a nasty patch and have changed so many things so recently I'm not qualified to advise on specifics.  

• Posted

cheers anhaga will try the yoghurt ,never heard of ,,kefir though ?
    • Posted

kefir is also a fermented milk product, a drink rather than a pudding.  It can also be made with a non-dairy base.  i think coconut milk kefir or water kefir are possible although I haven't tried them.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.