Alendronic Acid side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on alendronic acid (aa) for about 10 weeks now and started to feel ill but only on and off. Also my ears have started to have waves of pain. I visited my GP today (the one who prescriped aa) and she didnt seem to think that either of these problems were due to aa. However, when she looked inside my ears she said i had a calcium build up in them!! She has recommend that i stop the aa for 4 weeks to see if my symptoms settle down. Has anyone else suffered these effects and when i asked my GP if there was anythink else i could take instead of aa she was a big vague.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I just love (NOT) how a lot of doctors just  throw that it out there without a thought or anything, that they either don't think that whatever you side-effect is, is because of the drug your taking, or that they've never heard of that being a side-effect of the drug. Aaaargh! Hope you're doing better now. I just hate these drugs and all their side-effects.

• Posted

Are you taking Vitamin K2?  Do you consume enough magnesium?  These are necessary to guide calcium into the bones where it belongs so it doesn't settle where it can do harm.  It would be a good idea to check about interactions between your other meds and these two supplements first, though.  I do know that people are supposed to be checked that they have good calcium and Vitmain D levels before starting aa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.