Alendronic Acid - to take or not to take?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have found this site so useful - thank you everyone for providing this lifeline. I haven’t contributed for a while, so quick recap. I am a 64, fit woman who has always exercised regularly through Dance and gym classes. I have been one of the ‘lucky’ ones in that, following diagnosis, two years ago,  (when the pain was unbearable and I was an emotional wreck) I responded to a very low dose of Pred, 7mgs (October 2016) and have been tapering down using the over the last few months using the DSNS, tried and  tested method with no flare ups. 

I had a dexa scan December 2016. AP spine T score of -2.8. Normal Vitamin D. I was shocked at the results but didn’t feel it could be cortico-steroid induced so suddenly? It was recommended that I take bisphosphonate but, like many on this forum was appalled at the side effects when reading about this medication. Following discussion with my magnificent GP, she agreed she would go with my decision to try a diet, supplements and exercise regime first. (It seems the NHS guidelines are that bisphosphantes should only be taken for a max of 3 years (?) and she was happy for me to take them at a later 3 years should that prove to be necessary). 

However, the wonderful GP has left the Practice and I saw a female locum today who put the fear of God into me stating “It was vital I took the medication (Alendronic Acid) to protect my bones”.......she intimated it was more important than the Pred, Little does she know or understand the pain of the PMR! 

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Kind regards

Geordie Jane

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I too stopped taking it. I’m working with diet and vitamin D.  I’m having no luck whatsoever tapering the prednisone below 20mg’s and the last thing I need is the nasty side effects from the fosamax.

• Posted

I was unable to continue with Alendronic Acid ( allergic reaction  after five or six doses ) and thereafter relied on Calceos and what I think is a lifelong good diet.

Had a hip replacement five years ago ( just as I was almost down to zero Pred. after a total of eight years on it ) and the post op scans showed " amazing bone density for your age " ... the surgeon's words. No Knowing if it would be the same for you but I reckon I'd stop at " little does she know " in your last sentence and it's no part of a doctor's brief to scare patients in my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.