Alfuzosin for a month

Posted , 9 users are following.

So, I changed my uro who asked me to do a Retrograde Urethrogram. The new uro has put me on 30 days course of Alfuzosin 10 mg once at night. 

Does anybody has experience with this medicine? Will it make me dependent on it?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hey buddy.  Glad you were able to get another doctor.  I have never taken this med.  Just read up on it did not say that you can become dependent.  I hope it help you with your problem.  May sure you take it the way the doctor told you to.  Good luck  Ken
  • Posted

Thank you Ken. I did not mention about my previous uro visits to him. I wanted him to look at it from his own perspective. He asked me to follow up after one month with an ultrasound sonography to check the post void urine residue. 
  • Posted

I consider alfuzosin like a "flomax or rapaflo lite". It allows you to ejaculate normally, although not as much volume.

Drug is not addictive, definitely prefer over the other two. 

Best to you.

• Posted

I have been taking Alfuzosin for two years. I had been using Rapaflo, which caused retrograde ejaculation. I have not experienced any side effects, although none of these drugs are a panacea.
  • Posted

You can be dependent on it, in a sense, to make you pee better. Other than that, it's very safe. Hank

• Posted

Was this in preparation for the RU, or afterwards?  I had a retrograde urethrogram, and was given only one tablet of cipro afterwards.   I had no complications.
    • Posted

Hello Glenn,

It is neither in preparation nor afterwards. The RU was asked by my previous uro. This is new uro I met because I wanted to avoid the RU. He asked me to do ultrasound sonography (to check the post void residue) after completion of Alfuzosin course. It is good to know that you faced no conplications after RU. What was the finding of your RU that the uro prescribed Cipro? How are doing now?

• Posted

The Cipro was given (a single dose) to guard against possible infection from the introduction of the contrast medium (liquid) up the urethra and into the bladder.   I'm doingg well now.  Since then, I had a procedure to reduce/remove the strictures, and three weeks ago, an AUS implant that will hopefully solve my world class level of incontinence that I've had for the last 20 months, following the GL procedure for BPH.  I was due to have the AUS activated around 26 December, but as the Urology office will be closed for a week for non emergency visits, it will be the first week of January.

• Posted

I have been taking it for about 4 years!  Don't worry, I am pretty sure it is ok.

• Posted

I've had RE w/ Rapaflo but not with Alfuzosin.  My uro told me that Alfuzosin has the best side effect profile of alpha-blockers and confided in me that he is on it.

• Posted

It about time we hear of a doctor taking the same mens he give a patient.  Good for him and it's good for you.  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.