Alfuzosin for BPH

Posted , 7 users are following.

Curious for those of you taking Alfuzosin if you find better results taking the med after dinner/nighttime or breakfast/daytime? I've been on it a while and it's been effective during the daytime. But night is another problem with waking every two to three hours. I am thinking of switching to night time dosing to see if it helps?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There is a chart that shows the alfuzosin plasma concentraction as a function of time after it is taken. The chart clearly shows that the extent of absorption is 50% lower under fasting conditions when compared with taking the pill on a full stomach. The chart shows that the peak concentration is reached 8 to 10 hours after the pill is taken. So, if you want alfuzosin to work best at night you would probably want to take it in the late afternoon or early evening (depending on when you go to bed and get up). I don't believe this site will accept URLs so here is how you can find the chart.

1. Using google search enter "alfuzosin concentration"
    2. Search the results until you find a title "UROXATRAL® (alfuzosin HCl extended-release tablets) - FDA". The document is a .pdf and is on the accessdata page of the fda.
    3. Figure 1 on page 2 shows the chart.
  • Posted

I took at night. Before or after dinner it didnt seem to matter. Think they say 30 mins before a meal.

Jim

• Posted

I took at night. Before or after dinner it didnt seem to matter. Think they say 30 mins before a meal.

Jim

• Posted

Jim

• Posted

I had the Urolift and continued to take Alf for about a year thinking my Urolift failed because nothing got better. I tried Alf at different times of the day and that made me notice one thing, right after I took it my symptoms seemed to get worse. I stopped taking it and bph symptoms improved and continued to improve to the point that now I'm a believer in the Urolift. Month or so later my PCP added a blood pressure med...2mg Doxazosin and after 1 week I noticed that my bph symptoms were back and when I researched the new BP med it is in the same family as Alf. I stopped immediately and bada boom my symptom went away. Can't explain why something that is supposed to help BPH made it worse.

• Posted

i take doxasozin which is similar to alfasozin. GP started me off on 4mg in the mornings which was great until about 2am when the difficulties urinating got worse again.. So GP changed it to 2mg morning & evening, that sorted the night time problems.

• Posted

Hi Norman,

I have been on Tamsulosin, which is in the same 'family' as Alfuzosin, for the last five years.

At first I took it in the mornings, as suggested, but found that my flow was worse if I had to get up in the night. I grew tired of standing, half asleep, in front of the loo waiting for 'something to happen' and then never feeling as though I had finished so I decided to switch to taking it around 4:30 and 5:00PM.

I found this better and have been taking it at this time ever since.

Regards,

Steve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.