All advice welcome!

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am a 53 year old woman and have just this week been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Looking back, I realise that many symptoms that I have put down to my age or 'just how I am' were now due to the condition. I finally went to the doctor as for the last couple years my weight has been gradually increasing, no matter how hard I have tried to sort it. I do wonder how long I have had this, as even in my late 20's I had M.E and have now read of a connection. I am also someone who for most of my life, has always felt more tired than most people, and needed to plan enough 'rest time' around any social events. I have read I may feel worse before I feel better, although some say they felt better very quickly - please let me know your experiences x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, i hope you dont mind me jumping in here, but I have just been to the doctor yet again with what I think are all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Over the last 5 years I have had several blood tests which all come back "normal" and I have just put up with the tiredness, body pain etc.  Since my teens Ive had severe back / hip pain for which I have been given my body weight in painkillers.  I had xrays which found damaged discs so had a couple of injections which helped for a short while each time, umpteen courses of physiotherapy which I felt made no difference, was going to be put forward for surgery then discharged from the hospital clinic with no explanation despite asking why.  For the last 6 months or so (I think following a chest infection which turned into bronchitis) Ive felt the worst Ive ever felt - a "different" back pain, higher up on both sides which becomes worse when Im asleep along with leg pain, numb arms, joint pain especially in fingers - it even hurts to hold a pen or cutlery, constantly feeling cold, swollen feet, dry skin & hair.  Ive always had watery eyes - noticed someone else commenting on that.  Im going for blood tests on Thursday and am really hoping that something shows up so that I know Im not making it up because that if how Ive felt when Ive attended doctor or hospital before.  My Grandma had goitre when I was a child, my aunt had Sjogrens, and now Im thinking that my mum has something along these lines as she has had extreme tiredness and joint pain linked to arthritis for years, also had hip replacement 6 years ago then a a year later had seven stents insterted for a heart complaint but she really is not a "making an appointment with the doc" type and has to be forced to go! She is becoming extremely forgetfull and I am thinking the worst possible scenario that she has onset of dementia but it perhaps is a thyroid related situation instead. Again, sorry for hijacking the post but any any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.