All American Foot Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had the All American Foot Surgery on March 7th. I was no weight bearing for 8 weeks. My cast was removed on May 3rd. The Dr. told me I could use crutches for 1 week then i needed to walk on my own.  Tues was one week and there is no way I can even take a step without crutches. I did manage to walk a little bit with one crutch today. I'm getting a little discouraged because the pain is still very severe when I try to walk.  Anyone else had this surgery and unable to walk without crutches one week after cast removal?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Could you please let us know exactly what your injury was?  Ron
    • Posted

I had a ruptured tendon and drop foot. I had a tendon transfer, flat foot reconstruction-  Lateral Column Lengthening, using a cadaver bone. Gastrocnemius recession - lengthens the gastrocnemius tendon.
    • Posted

Considering the amount of damage and subsequent surgery, it really doesn't surprise me at all that you're still having a lot of pain.  I dislocated by ankle and broke the fibula while skiing on February 16.  Had surgery on February 20 and had to remain 100% non-weight bearing for 8 weeks as well.  Minor surgery tomorrow to remove the syndesmosis screw tomorrow but already walking in the boot.  Some discomfort still and will remain so for weeks to come, I'm sure.  The foot, unfortunately, takes its own sweet time in healing completely.  Patience is needed, although I know how hard it is, believe me.
    • Posted

Thank you for your encouragement! I guess I'm discouraged because the Dr. said I would only use the crutches for 1 week. Mornings are the worst when I put that foot down for the first time for the day. Also I didn't have to take pain meds for the first 8 weeks, ( other than 2 days after surgery) now I have to alternate meds every couple of hours.
    • Posted

So happy you can get the screw removed today Ron! Yay!!
    • Posted

I don't know how it works with your injury, but I couldn't walk without crutches (after being casted for 7 weeks) for 4 weeks and it was painful to go from NWB to WB, because all the tendons and muscles you haven't used get very sore when you fire them back up. I think what you were describing sounds very normal. The first week I was instructed just to tap foot on the floor, while using crutches, the second week was 25% WB, third week 50% etc. 
    • Posted

That does make more sense. They told me I could be 100% wb asap. Maybe the Dr just wanted to make sure I push myself to get back on my feet.

Thanks for responding! Very encouraging!

• Posted

Sorry you are having so much pain but I was there too. The swelling, pain and stiffness was really bad after my cast removal and no one to guide me on it. I used lots of stretching the ankle, massage and ice. It was a good two to three weeks to give up the crutches but I got there! I still don't walk for fun, as I love, and still have a limp but there is improvement. I hope you start pt soon and keep positive. My cast came off March 25th and I have accepted the long recovery. It is your body so don't let the doc tell you there is no pain but you have to work at it too!
    • Posted

Thank you for your response! I did do some massaging today and tried shoes with no heels because the sneaker was hurting my heel. That seemed to help.
  • Posted

Hi there I broke my tibia tibia damaged my heel and dislocated my foot on the 11th of march

I was on holiday so had operation back home UK on 17 th march . I had a plate and screws to fix

Left side of foot and I had 2 screws on the right side the screws and plate pulled in the heel injury

3 weeks later they took stitches out and plaster off I was I agony because I have delicate ankles and the screw head is prominent on my right ankle bone site

The doc wanted me have a plaster cast again I said no I heard I might be able get a boot

that I could remove wen not on my feet I was checked to see if I was suitable and with the promise to do exercises

I was released for 3 weeks being told I would then get a weight bearing boot so I was counting the 3weeks as the foot was still swollen even after being up for days 2 hours down it went nearly black n swelled up

I went back last week he said it had healed great 7 weeks total I was told to walk with crutches but like you the pain under the foot was agony

So I tried a couple of steps then sat I just keep trying little steps I have managed the stairs twice up n down with a crutch

It is now 8 weeks and like you am still using crutches for support because it hurts under my heel

I have been taking arnica to reduce the swelling it's brilliant and paracetamol for the pain when it's too bad I'm sure it will get easier the doc said swelling would go as I walked on it but it goes up and down just keep resting it when you've had enough baby steps

I can't walk alone yet I was worried about it but it should get better soon the doctor told me to lean against a blank wall feet back about 20 inches hands on wall and keep pushing away from the wall to exercise my tendons in the heel

Hope I've helped a bit feel free to ask anything else good luck x dawn

• Posted

Do you still have a walking boot? I was wearing sneakers but the back of my heel was very swollen and sore so I have been wearing my Klogs this afternoon and it is so much better not having that pressure on my heel. It is very encouraging to know I'm not alone in this. smile Thank you!
    • Posted

I don't have a boot he said I can walk without it I was shocked as it was only 7 weeks I've been walking on the carpet barefoot when I go out I put a wide flat canvas shoe on although foot still swells over it I have tried hard bottom saslip on sandals wich seem better but need be careful i don't twist in them hope you're better soon x dawn
  • Posted

Hi. I broke my tibia and fibula on 18th February, was put into a sling type back slab for just over two weeks before surgery because of swelling. (Plate and screws.) After surgery was put into another back slab, two weeks later their removed the staples from the wounds and another cast. Told no weight bearing for another six weeks. After this the cast was removed I was told partial weight then a week later I could go on to one crutch and another week later no crutches. I tried this but could not walk without both crutches for two weeks. I tried with one crutch around my bed at first in case I needed to sit down fast and then took it from there. A week later I am now trying to walk with no crutches, I can only do it for a short distance and then back to the crutches. When I walk without the aid of the crutches my ankle and foot pain a bit and swells quite a bit. I have decided the best thing to do is listen to my body and do what it says. I do my exercises as told and hopefully soon I will not need the crutches at all . Listen to your body and do what you can. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you! It's very encouraging to know I am not the only one that can't walk without crutches. Also gives me hope that I won't need them forever!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.