All available treatments/procedures for prostate problems

Posted , 15 users are following.

i think it would be a worthwhile effort to assemble a master list of what's available or being promoted by the medical industry. for urinary problems.

The good, the bad and the ugly!

I'm sure I'll have to make a decision on one sometime soon.

I'm beginning a search for a new uro as my current prescribed a daily dosage of Tamulsin that could have killed me!

He's also been pushing to do a urolift.

I hope we can do this!

Include side effects, problems and other info.

Thanks to all

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Go to top right and use the search facility just for 'prostate' or any individual procedure.

• Posted

Go to top right and use the search facility just for 'prostate' or any individual procedure.

• Posted

• Posted

Hello Johnny (& All):

If we can acknowledge that BPH is about an enlarged prostate (too big), which many times leads to urinary issues (weak stream, retention, etc.), then we can agree that the medical world offers way too many choices that feeds to our hopes and fears. If we boil it down, I see it this way:

1. Minimally Invasive vs. Invasive: Here is where we start. We are scared to death (or very protective) about anyone cutting on us, so we gravitate towards swallowing the "magic" pill that we pray solves all our problems and allows us to avoid the knife. Wishful thinking, and the medical world (and health insurance) plays into this.
    2. Reduction vs. Removal: We are all ears when some solution guarantees us a "reduction" in the size of our prostate, even when the percentage is mathematically low, and our organ continues to grow. We fear removal because we guard our "manhood" and very few do it to treat BPH. We would rather start with baby steps and spend a lot of time and money, along with frustration, sneaking up on our problem because anything "invasive" is the last resort and literally taboo for many (we can be our own worst enemy).
    3. Short-term vs. Long-term. Here is where we would rather treat the symptoms versus the problem. Again, for many, we are constrained by health insurance, doctors, etc. In other words, many BPH sufferers are never offered the long-term solution, however invasive it is, until they have suffered all the short-term methods first, and even then, removal scares the hell out of all of us. Plus, we see doctors that are limited in skills and focus more on what they do versus what is best for us.

I recommend one mindset: Treat the problem, not the symptoms, and do not fear the term "invasive." This will lead you to a long-term solution.

Dave

• Posted

Which is why Dave, what you did or any Enucleation procedure is best, like GLEP or Holep because both of those pretty much assure no need for re-treatment. Lapro or open Prostatectomy what you did, also solves the issue.

• Posted

There has never been an official survey as to patients that have been satisfied with their procedure as well as those who have not. You cannot go by fairly newer procedures because they have not stood the test of time.

• Posted

To all of the men with BPH

It is very hard to say what will work for a man because we are all different and it is not a one size fits all treatments.

We like to hear how these are after a man has a procedure. We want to hear the good and the bad.

But you have to do your own research. Pros and cons. Your concerns and what side effects you can deal with. You also have to look for a doctor that will explain everything and answer your questions not just give you a generic answer or downplay the side effects

Some men will have let's say a Turp or one of the Laser procedure and they do well and even if they do get retro which is given with this kind of surgery. They are fine as long as they can still be sexual with there partners.

But you also have men that they are not ready to have retro because it was not what the doctor told them. Most doctor will just tell you that you don't need it and all will feel the same. You also have men that can get there erection back quickly and then you have men that still can get it after 2 years. What ever you pick you are the one that will have to deal with the out come

You have to do your research and pick the best for you. Do not take the first thing that come along. Remember you are doing this to your body and you should not give up

Deal with BPH is hard enough you don't want to add to that with a procedure that may not work. You want the best for yourself

Take care all................Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.