All fellow car drivers

Posted , 13 users are following.

When did you start driving again its my life line as my husband is disabled and i need the car to get him out i am 5 and half weeks post op x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i am 5 weeks post and similarly wondering. Think it is generally six weeks but my surgeon said it depends how you feel

• Posted

Check with your insurance company as you have to be able to make an emergency stop. Speak with your surgeon, through their secretary, if you can't get to speak in person.

• Posted

I had a THP, right side and was able to drive at 3 weeks as I was back at work then.It made it alot easier since I didnt have to find someone to take me back and forth to work as my husband is a truck driver and not home much!! Best of luck on your recovery!!

• Posted

Depends on your surgeons say so also what type of surgery. US seems be earlier as arterial surgery seems less invasive and also they have more automatic cars. UK mostly posterial approach and we tend to drive more manuals. 6 weeks is average, some longer, you need to prove you can do an emergency stop, as has been commented on before, insurance companies appear to be a bit vague. When do you have your check up? Then is the time to ask, don't think a telephone call will cut it as you need to prove you can walk quite well

• Posted

I started to drive at 2 weeks post op. I had an automatic and it was my left hip so no problem. I have sporty seats and they did put a little pressure on my scar area but otherwise no problems at all.

• Posted

You need to check with your surgeon and the insurance company. I had no problem after six weeks RTHR and I have a manual gear change. I could probably have driven earlier but was told six weeks.

• Posted

hi Cazy....im in Scotland in case it differs and was 5 weeks post op on Sunday past....seen my surgeon on Monday (3 days ago) and he happy with my recovery and advised was happy for me to drive now as long as i could perform an emergency stop.....i took car out on Tuesday snd managed to do it then i took car out short drive......i woukdnt go too far yet snd i also wouldnt drive without my surgeon permission xxxx

• Posted

hi Cazy....im in Scotland in case it differs and was 5 weeks post op on Sunday past....seen my surgeon on Monday (3 days ago) and he happy with my recovery and advised was happy for me to drive now as long as i could perform an emergency stop.....i took car out on Tuesday snd managed to do it then i took car out short drive......i woukdnt go too far yet snd i also wouldnt drive without my surgeon permission xxxx

• Posted

Hi Cazy, I was able to drive 4.5 weeks post op for my LTHR (the day after I saw my surgeon).

I've been told 6-8 weeks post op for my recent RTHP (I am 3 weeks today). They also reminded me that they will not release you if you are still taking narcotics for pain.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Caz

I had LTHR and drive an automatic so surgeon said as soon as I felt happy that I could control the car I was OK to drive. I started about 2 weeks post op. However if I'd had a manual car then my guess is that it would have been closer to 8 weeks before my operated leg was strong enough and flexible enough to operate the clutch comfortably.

My main issue was parking - I had to find spaces in car parks where I could get the door wide open to get in and out easily. Usually that meant a space at the end of a row to avoid being blocked by vehicles parking too close.

You say your husband is disabled so I guess you'll have a permit to access the wider disabled parking spaces. I only wish our UK local authorities would consider a temporary "blue badge" for us recovering hippies. It would make life a lot easier

• Posted

i have a blue badge so no problem parking my insurance is happy for me to drive at 5 weeks xx

• Posted

A friend had a temporary disabled badge after her hip, I think she had it for about a year. In fact if you get a blue badge and then things improve you are supposed to return the badge.

• Posted

It depends on your surgeon (you need his clearance), and your insurance company (read the small print), and sometimes the driver licensing authority in your country.

Usually you will get clearance at 6 weeks.

• Posted

I dont think you need your surgeons ok or your insurance companys ok its up to you to decide when you are fit yo drive

• Posted

I am not sure your insurance company would agree with you. A lot of people think they are OK to drive when they are over the drink drive limit.

• Posted

why would you assume anything after major surgery?? i would do nothing to put my recovery back as im too keen to get back to normal

• Posted

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. In my case my Surgeon said I could drive after two weeks. When i had my 4 week review with him he then said are you driving yet. I got the impression it was very much down to me to decide when I was fit to drive. Your note says follow your doctors advice not his instructions. There is a lot of difference between the two.

• Posted

My insurance company says on their website to get surgeon's approval.

My surgeon only approves of driving after 6 weeks.

Not wanting to break the law by driving uninsured, I waited the 6 weeks, it's a small price to pay to be sure.

• Posted

I thought less about my health and more about what my consultant reminded me that if I were to rear end somebody or god forbid hit a pedestrian, it would be difficult explaining you had a hip replacement two weeks previous and thought I would be ok to drive because I 'feel fine'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.