All/Lots Of The Symptoms Of Hyperthyroidism But Blood Tests Clear

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so I have a long list of medical things going on most diagnosed but one that I can’t get figured out is why I have most of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. 

First background:

My mom has Hypothyroidism I believe, the one where it’s inactive. I have Chronic Migraines, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Supraventricular Tachycardia, Some Undiagnosed Spasms, Slight Lattice Around My Eyes and a Collasped Left Eardrum. 

Now my symptoms:

Excess sweating(my mom was the first to point this out I sweat ALOT. Like to the point where the BO is shamefully noticeable even in the dead of winter. I even sweat at night an ungodly amount and I have a fan on at night even in winter)

Heat intolerance(probably the worst symptom, summer is hell to me. I can’t be outside for even a few minutes before I’m sweating, getting a headache, dizzy just awful. It’s kept me from going outside almost every summer)

Hyperactivity(coincides with restlessness)

Irritability(I can get pretty damn irritable over nothing) 

Restlessness(I can never seem to just do nothing and when I do I get angry because I want to just do something)

Mood swings(I can go from really excited to super just depressed, bored or angry)

Nervousness(I get nervous over anything and everything no joke)

Panic attack(I have these very easily mostly when I’m in public alone or walking in the dark)

Abnormal heart rhythm and Fast heart rate(my supraventricular tachycardia, which as of right now they don’t know the cause but I’m goign to a cardiologist)

Difficulty falling asleep and Insomnia(really bad, I listen to white noise to try and help me. Still takes me and average two hours to fall asleep)

Irregular menstruation(almost never the same time every month)

Tremor or Spasms(started getting in 6-7th grade, mostly my wrist but also my neck)

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi JulinaT, might be a good idea to mention your test results (including the normal range) in your post. Tests based on TSH alone may lead to a false negative or false positive or can be skewed if you are taking certain medications or supplements (like biotin). 

Having said that, most symptoms of hyperthyroidism (elevated heart rate, anxiety, sweating, intolerance to heat, insomnia, irritability) are indirect symptoms in the sense that they are caused by a reaction of the sympathetic nervous system to an increased metabolic rate. As such, any disorder that stimulates the nervous system has the potential to cause similar symptoms. 

Possible symptoms directly caused by an inflammation of the thyroid include swelling and tenderness in the neck area, difficulty swallowing, goitre. 

Where you ever prescribed beta blockers? 

• Posted

I’ll try and post my test results later but I have had multiple tests down that the doctors told me I came out normal they even did a retest. My main doctor made me draw more blood for a redo because she said thyroid had to be the issue. 

As for beta blockers, they don’t want to prescribe them to me yet until my cardiologist gets a look at what’s up with my heart. Also info I forget I’m 18 years old and a female. 

As for direct symptoms I do have swelling and tenderness but it isn’t possible to tell whether that’s my thyroids or my arthritis 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.