All sorts of pains, what's causing it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 27 year old female whole lives a fairly healthy and active lifestyle. Two weeks ago I had a cold with the usual coughing, fever, sore throat, tiredness etc. I still have a cough, chest tightness and the occasional sore throat. However, over the past week I've also been experiencing chest pain, upper back pain mainly in between the shoulders, light headed was ranging from a mild constant to the point where I feel like the floors been ripped out from under me and I'm unable to move until it passes and pelvic, period like aching but I'm not due for my period. I took a pregnancy test on Saturday to try and eliminate factors and this came back negative. Anyone have any ideas of what's going on, is it just the after effects of the cold or is it something to be more concerned over?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Genna

Sounds like you had the flu, people don’t realise how bad this can make you feel. However if your chest is still hurting go to your GP as you could have a chest infection or possibly pneumonia.

Good luck

Neil

• Posted

I agree with Neil entirely. Flu can be really tough to get over if indeed it was flu. It can take over 3 weeks for the major symptoms to ease up and the cough can persist for a while.

However it is important to go to your doctor and ask for blood tests (FBC plus leukocyte differential and also including CRP) to rule out secondary bacterial infectons and a chect x ray specifically to exclude possibility of secondary chest infection or effusions around the chest and heart.

Meanwhile the occasional sore throat you mention is probably due to post-nasal back drip. Please use saline solution to clear your nasal cavity and also gargle with the solution to help aid recovery and discourage opportunistic bacteria. Steaming with salt water solution in the evening will also help clear up remnants of infection. Drink plenty of liquids.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks, after 4 weeks of the cheat issues I went and saw my GP, diagnosed with chest wall inflammation and given anti inflammatorys. Still experiencing chest issues/pain, as well throat and chest feel cold and every now and again heart "sinks" and I get dizzy.... wondering now if it's just me stressing myself out.

• Posted

No to all of that. Checked blood pressure, listened to lungs and pressed on the front of chest. Was told to take paracetamol and ibuprofen (which I had already been doing) and sent on my way. Now have developed dull back pain in between my shoulder blades. Getting a bit fed up and just wanting to feel better.
    • Posted

You need to ask....demand a chest x-ray and bloodwork. If you cannot demand it from your GP, go to the ER.

It is not appropriate to 'treat' any post-flu chest complaints with NSAIDs fwithout excluding the possibility of underlying bacterial or fungal infestation.

I am assum you do not have a fever or a cough. If there is any fever or cough, all the more so.

Please let us know how the screening goes.

Do not accept further NSAIDs or corticosteroids before getting the above done.

This is not to scare you, but help inform you of the correct action that should have been undertaken probably 2-3 weeks ago. Your GPs approach was not right. If you do not believe me - get a second opinion. But by all means, follow up on it. Better to be safe than sorry at the end of the day, right? xx

• Posted

and by "assum" I meant assuming.

Please get seen ASAP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.