All the symptoms, no diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

urinary retention began 13 days ago. Since then have had MRI W/o contrast of brain, and no contrast MRI of thoracic and lumbar spine. I do have mild herniation at L5/S1 but nothing compressing on caudical nerve bundle, I have saddle numbness, feet, pelvic and rectal numbness, I have been self cathing. Cerebrospinal fluid has been tested for virus and all negative. Neurologist just re-ordered lumbar MRI with contrast bc my symptoms present so closely to caudica. If it is, I don't need surgery tho. So what are my options? I am a very healthy 50 yo female, up until 2 weeks ago. I do not have back pain, that is the old thing missing as far as symptoms. I'm so scared of long term damage. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Stacey,  I wonder whether anything has come to light on scan with contrast?  Do you have any weakness in lower limbs?  Are things worse at night? It’s a good idea to obtain a copy of your scan report and discuss your problem with a Neurosurgeon as a matter of urgency, if you have not already done so. Your instinct is right, of course, don’t just accept things as they are, find the answer as quickly as possible. Jerry
    • Posted

Hi Jerry. The constrast showed in fact an inflammation of the meninges in the caudal area. However I have no physical protrusions. Therefore I am being worked up for a viral or autoimmune cause. I have no pain. My bladder function has returned and it seems slowly some of my saddle feeling is coming back. I received IV acyclovir and immunoglobulin antibodies and steroids. We hope for a complete reversal. Both of My feet are still quite numb. 
  • Posted

Hello Stacey, is your herniation type of central protrusion?
    • Posted

No it is not. I have no physical protrusions. It appears to be viral or autoimmune. 
  • Posted

It maybe the beginning of a start of cauda equina but in 2003 I just had my 1st bout with the same disc problems as your l5-s1 with numbness and not the cauda equina i was like that for about 4 yrs then and after doing decompression for a yr on the discs things were better for several yrs including the radiating nerve spuratic pain now as in my post the disc issues are back and have cauda equina since last May then with being 33 wks pregnant it's gotten worse (if you wanna check my recient story its on my topic post and have some other comments i mention under marks post.. ) but I would still ask your doctor's about it and wait to see what they tell you after your next MRI. IT could be anything or mild on set cauda or sciatica pain which is similar to cauda because of the nerve pain but they're both different conditions .. hope that helps and gives you a alittle insite for now .

• Posted

Sorry after I just commented i just noticed those posts you wrote were from 4 months ago anyway I assume all is going better ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.