All the time it was a food intolerance (99%)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am a guy, 50 years old and previously general good health.

I had exercised maybe twice a week and enjoyed a varied and good life.

After months on end of going through hell I had to post this in case I can help someone else.

Early 2016, I started suffering stomach issues consisting of, and variably:

A feeling as if I had something stuck in my stomach

Bloating

Cramping

Nausea

Heart Palpitations

fatigue (bad)

I am going to compress this story as I want to get the main point across quickly.

I saw the doctor a few times, even visiting accident and emergency (ER) room a few times too.

I must say that due to the heart palpitations I even got my heart checked over and had a 24-hour ECG and an Echocardiogram to make sure that my heart was ok.

I eventually got an appointment to see a gastroenterologist a few weeks ago and told him the symptoms.

I have had a huge amount of stress in the last year caring for my elderly parents.

The Gastro guy said that it was entirely reasonable for me to have an endoscopy.

I had it. It was gross. No sedation as I don't like the idea of being sedated. I retched for (England) but I got through it.

The results came back immediately.

All was in order. No gastritis, no eosophogitis, no ulcers, no hernias. All good.

I was so happy...

But for the next week I STILL had these horrinble symptoms.

And then I started a food diary, a FOOD DIARY.

After just 3 days of diarising it jumped out at me like a sore thumb.

Fish...FISH FISH FISH...particularly (it looked like) OILY FISH.

I eat fish regularly and as I started to contnue day to day with my diary it came to light that every time I ate fish, I got symptoms...

And the odd days I didn't eat fish I felt either a bit better or OK!

So, I have another 2 weeks of diarising to go but I am 95% sure that I have food allergy/intolerance that has been causing my suffering.

It could be more than fish and I will test that theory buut for sure my pain has been due to fish irritating my gut and causing not only stomach issues but fatigue and palpitations (look it up, it's a cause).

I am so relieved and if I can help some other poor person out there who has followed a similar pattern to me I impore you to start a food diary and write down not onlyt what you eat (in detail) but also any symptoms that occur.

Hope this helps.

Gary

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I forgot, in addition to the above other symptoms were:

Gas in my eosophegus, bubbling up especially during the night as I am trying to sleep causing mights of horrid sleeplessness.

Sometimes it got so bad the acid would come into my throat.

That was important thought I should add it.

• Posted

oh another symptom (I can't find an 'edit original post' button sorry about replying to mysefl!

Another symptom was sometimes I felt as if my breathing (chest) was restricted. It felt as if I couldn't get enough breath.

This of course was the start of the allergic reaction!

• Posted

Thank you for this I have been having these exact symptoms I have had urine and bloods all clear I was started to think it's diet related it's hard to pin point one thing when you feel so ill all the time isn't it? The drs are refusing to do more tests at this time so this post has settled my mind a little bit thank you keep me updated on your progress x

• Posted

I advise you immediately begin the food diary and record symptoms. This won't harm you at all and may just save you a lot of trouble.

I wish you all the best.

Gary

• Posted

Hi

How are you doing?

I can report that it was 100% food intolerance with me.

All my horrible symptoms have gone away.

How are you?

Was it an intolerance?

Gary

• Posted

Forgot to say I also have just had a really stressfull year!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.